PDA

View Full Version : what a time to learn !

russellferrier
16th Oct 2001, 05:25
Despite economic circumstances, I remain an optimist and am about to embark on learning to fly. I am a 37 y.old from London England and moving to San Diego by the end of the year.

Here's my issue: In April I looked at flight schools at Montgomery field in San Diego and narrowed down the choice to one. This school will enable me to complete my PPL, IR, CPL, CFI and CFII and offers Part 141 courses taking 20 weeks with ground schools / classroom instruction (292 hours); ground flight instruction (30 hrs); Cessna 172 solo/dual (162 hrs); simulator (10 hrs) plus flight instruction / ground instruction manuals, headset usage, exam fees (not CFI-A/CFII) for $33,000. I also can obtain a M-1 Visa (right to live/work for 1 year) via this school which is vital to allow me to further my desire to live in USA permanently.

Somewhere someone told me the school I have chosen & visited is a good school, well rated and regarded in the USA . All that being said though, I agree with many comments I've read, that it all boils down to having a great instructor / mentor and getting the most out of that relationship.

One of my dilemnas has been finding a generic source of info that can actually rate schools and come up with a recommendation of what /how to choose.

Not being savvy of all the necessary info and questions to ask about courses, types of plane, et al I am unsure what school is the right one to learn / gain the hours / and be able to obtain that all important visa to stay in the USA uninterrupted throughout the next year. This school said at the end of 20 weeks it would employ me as instructor. Sounds good, but am I missing something ? I like the idea of instructing though going further as a CommPilot is of interest too (given my age maybe for smaller airlines / private fleets).

I want to make the USA my home and have plans to do that via establishing a company but that may take a while longer than one year to give me right to live in USA. Hence the Visa M1 visa is a big interest in choosing where / how I learn.

I am willing and prepared to spend the time full-time over xx months, to gain my flight ratings.

Anyone out there with wise thoughts as to good schools in the San iego area and decision criteria to consider.

Thanks !

Rotorbike
16th Oct 2001, 08:13
You aren't fully being told the truth. With an M1 visa you are legally only allowed to work ONE week for every month of training. So if it took you 6 months then legally the school could only employ you for 6 weeks. Please note the word is legally as many people in the past have worked for longer periods, but a promise isn't worth the paper it is written on.

What you are looking for is a school that gives you a J1 visa. It is a 2 year visa which allows you to legally work after the period of study in the area you trained in, therfore as a flight instructor. You can also legally work for ANY company in flight instruction not just the one that trained you. The following link gives general information about J1 visas. http://travel.state.gov/visa;exchange.html The really good part of this visa is any wife gets a J2 visa which allows them to get any job!!!!

For the J1 holder it is very important that you don't mess around. If you can get all your ratings in 6 months then it gives you 18 months to find a job and build those all important hours.

I don't know of any J1 visa fixed wing schools in San Diego but the following link will be of use to you as they are west coast based but further north. http://www.sierraacademy.com/visas.asp

In order to become a M1 or J1 visa holder the schools have to go through hoops. And have to be checked every year. This does mean that they have to be of a certain standard. It doesn't mean they are financially sound so as mentioned in other treads don't pay all money up front and only pay with a credit card!!!

I went for it 7 years ago, built up time as a flight instructor and don't regret paying the extra to work legally in the US whilst on a J1. Only difference is I went rotary so can't help much with contacts etc.

Just as a little footnote a M1 visa school will never tell you about a J1 visa and its advantages!!!!