PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience placements??

JIP
18th Jan 2002, 01:44
Hi everbody
First of all i apoligise as this topic has probably been raised before.
However does anybody know of any UK airlines that are willing to accept work experience placements preferably with a more technical or aircrew side or general airline operations??
My Physics teacher at School(i am 17 lower 6th), mentioned that the RAF offer work experience, however i thought the Armed forces in the UK would not allow this, can anybody shed any light or info??
THANKS ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!
SPRINGBOK

scroggs
18th Jan 2002, 02:56
The RAF most certainly offers work experience. Contact either your local Careers Information Office, or the RAF website (I think it's <a href="http://www.rafcareers.com" target="_blank">here</a>).

Lucifer
18th Jan 2002, 04:05
They normally only seem to allow them to go to those in the local vicinity of their bases, though it is always worth trying and seeing. RAF ones send you to nearest base and have a feeling that they are restricted to engineering, though may be wrong.

JIP
18th Jan 2002, 23:38
Thanks for the replies!!

schwabn
18th Jan 2002, 23:40
Buzz offer work experience placements, there is some info on their website about it. As for other airlines, I don't know, the best thing is to ring the personnel department and ask.

DanielBaxter
19th Jan 2002, 15:11
Hi,

Guess i was one of the lucky few to get Work Experience at BA then! I did apply around 18 months in advance, and wrote a really heart-felt letter. I was offered a week at Cranebank, with Flight Crew Training! It was good, most of the week i was producing a presentation "The Theory of Flight".....but on one day i followed a 747crew on their SEP day. But the highlight, was definitely watching 747 flight-crew on their sim-check flight!! After i'd watched and the crew completed their flight, the trainer asked me if i'd like a go!! As if he really needed to ask...!! So there i was at the controls of a 747-200. I took off, flew round and landed at JFK. And the trainer showed me a cool trick, but thats not gonna happen anymore (He flew between the WTC towers).

However, since Sept 11th, i'm not sure if BA have stopped work experience, i don't know. But it's definitely worth a go!! One of the main things is that they give MOST placements to people in neighbouring school, as the company is keen to be seen as a "good neighbour" around Heathrow! I live near Epsom, not exactly a neighbour to Heathrow, but maybe i just surprised them with my letter! Maybe after reading so many of the formal requests, a heart-felt plee played with their heart-strings!!!

All the best,
Daniel