PDA

View Full Version : How Much does it cost to live in London

spitfire747
15th Jan 2002, 00:24
Hi again everyone

I am taking the modular route to CPL level and looking at going to LGU to study for the ATPLs

Doing my sums but need some ideas on how much it costs to live in the capital for 6 months, house share, room share whatever....

How much roughly am i looking at per week for rent, bills and food ... ?

JetPac
15th Jan 2002, 01:04
Expensive is the word I'd use. I live in North London (Zone 4 on the tube) and for a nice one bedroomed flat the rent is the best part of £700 per month. I don't know what the cost would be for a house share and there are certainly cheaper parts of London, the SE of the capital probably being handy for London Guildhall transport-wise. A weekly travelcard is about £28 from zone 4 otherwise food and utility bills will be much as anywhere else I'd imagine. There are sure to be other places in the country that offer a similar course without the same overheads. Hope this helps.

Luke SkyToddler
15th Jan 2002, 13:54
A room in a shared flat can come in at anything from £50 - £60 per week for a smallish single in the suburbs, normally around £120 to £150 per week for a double.

If you get hold of the any of the london living magazines devoted to the Aussie / Kiwi / South African traveller fraternity (TNT etc) then there's normally several pages of extremely cheap flat shares to be found.

A tube travelcard will cost you another &20 to £30 a week depending on where you're living. Tower Hill tube (closest to LGU) is on the Circle and District lines as well as the DLR so you're quids in, I was commuting in from Fulham and it was dead easy, no train changes to make, and there's lots of nice modern flats around the Docklands area that should be quite handily located.

Tinstaafl
15th Jan 2002, 17:27
I lived in London for over 2 years initially while I went to LGU then nursing/hunting for a flying job.

I lucked into a comfortable bedsit in Herne Hill/N. Dulwich - Zone 2. Tree lined streets, two railway stations within 3 to 10 mins walk, ditto bus services.

When I moved in in Jun 99 the rent was 200pm + council tax (my share about 20 quid pm) & included electricity. Monthly travel card was then about 60 quid.

By the time I left in Aug 01 the rent had risen to 243pm & council tax to about 30pm. Monthly travel card about 70 quid. I've heard the rent since has risen to about 280pm

Share phone/phone line, kitchen, washing machine & bathroom between the 3 of us.

I was very lucky to find the place. I'd looked at a lot of places in this price range, most of which were dumps.

The only reason I left was for my new job. If I could have afforded it I would have kept the room for my occasional London visit.

MaximumPete
15th Jan 2002, 17:36
LGU might help you.

Years ago there used to be a seaman's type hostel to cope with the Merchant Navy officer cadets on courses but it may be closed by now.

Good luck with the course

MP

sam white
15th Jan 2002, 22:45
I am LGU and living in london.
I dont know what sort of luxury you require, but it breaks down like this.
I share a flat with one friend, we pay £375 PP/PM.
council tax is £25 pm and bills about £15. Bearing in mind Leyton is Awfull.
Travel is around £25-30 (weakly zone 1-3 travel card )per week on the tube from zone 3. Except I ride in.
The ladies in the office at guidhall are usefull, they will try and help. There is a place for nurses and policemen down the road (30 mins walk)
in whitechapel. They sometimes let LGU Aviation students stay, this is about £375 pm inclusive, and is damn nice/secure.
I know people that are doing it for cheeper, but belive me, the extra travel isnt worth it.
My advice, Get a place in the East around zone 3. yore friends may not want to visit but hey, whats 6 months!! And second, get a push bike.
Other than this it just depends on how much you want to eat. ( oh i should say that you will probably spend 10 times more than you budget for in the pub over the road! )
Any more ?????? [email protected]

BFH
15th Jan 2002, 23:00
Good luck. As for me, I'd prefer to live anywhere than in a big city.