PDA

View Full Version : Unusual situation!!

Frank27
14th Jan 2002, 02:33
Hi to all

Just want to see if there is anyone out there in the same situation, or someone who knows of someone else in the same situation.
I`m a South African citizen living and working in the UK. I am currently a temporary UK resident and am very soon about to get my permanent residency (March 2002). This gives me the legal right to live and work in the UK - as a current temporary resident, I also have the right to live and work here. I have been working and saving towards doing the UK ATPL for the last 2 years and am happy to say I`ve just about enough cash. Actually I formerly held a South African commercial so the costs won`t be as high as those starting from scratch.
My question is, does anyone know the situation with being a UK permanent resident, but travelling on a SA passport, when it comes to getting hired by a UK airline. SA citizens unfortunately still need to get Visa`s to go to mainland Europe.
I recently spoke to one of the senior pilots at GO airlines and he said there were quite a few South African chaps in the same situation flying for GO airlines. The airline is able to organise passes for them when they are travelling as flight crew, so that they can move through customs at each port without needing a visa each time, so I don`t forsee any problems.
I`m interested in hearing from those who are or were in a similar situation.
Also, I`m considering either ATA or London Guildhall to do the ATPL. I see there are favourable comments on ATA, but what about London Guildhall. Anyone out there attended? Any feedback would be appreciated - cheers....

Easy226
14th Jan 2002, 02:38
Im thinking myself of saving up for the ATPL when i have finished my a-levels. I dont know weather to get a degree and then get a well paid job that can give me enough money in a shorter amount of time or to just go out and get a jogb after school. So far ive got £10000 in the bank, did you go to university????