PDA

View Full Version : RAF Bulldog to France

FFly
11th Feb 2003, 19:28
Having flown many times all over the West of England from Gloucester to Blackpool, and Eastwards towards Lincolnshire, this year I really want to go somewhere I have never been. I would quite like to get to Le Touquet to extend my flying experience beyond these shores.

I fly in an ex RAF Bulldog, which still shows its military registration, and RAF roundels. There is a small plate showing the civilian G registration, but no external sign that the aircraft is on the G register.

Has anyone else flown say a Chippie or Bulldog to France in the original colour scheme?

Are there any problems with the French authorities, or do they just treat an ex military aircraft as a normal g register aircraft?

smarthawke
11th Feb 2003, 19:42
I wouldn't think it would be a problem as a number of ex-RAF Bulldogs were bought by French owners and exported in their RAF colour scheme with just a small French registration under the tailplane.

The French apparently class them as an historic aircraft so don't have to abide by ADs etc...

Jerry

Wide-Body
11th Feb 2003, 21:36
Hi Ffly

I believe that is a condition of your CAA exemption certificate that your rights are UK only. If you go abroad you have to get the national authorities permission. It is in the small print on the grey certificate of exemption (I think). However saying that apart from a VAT certificate the French are quite relaxed. All the best

Wide

Doghouse
12th Feb 2003, 02:00
Hi fly

I've taken military-marked bulldogs to Channel Islands and France with no problems at all. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what the regs are on this but the C of A's definitely didn't have the UK-only endorsement that the previous post talks about.

Enjoy your flight.

By the way, you might be interested to know that a chap at Kemble sells single seat dingies that clip on to your life jacket and which you sit on. A good friend of mine who owns a bulldog at Kemble possesses one and believes the raft and dingy system is perfectly suited to the bulldog.

FNG
12th Feb 2003, 07:00
I flew Bulldog G-BPCL to Burgundy a while back, resplendent in its Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Airforce markings (complete with Chinese characters), with nary a civil registration in view. The owners of the aircraft had worked out the necessary permissions with the UK and French authorities, and simply gave me a signed chit confirming that I was authorised to fly the aircraft on the dates of my trip. So, it can be done without much difficulty, and an enquiry of the CAA would probably produce the precise information needed.

Legalapproach
12th Feb 2003, 20:03
To be on the safe side you would be well recommended to take a lawyer with you, preferably one who hasn't flown a dog for several years but has about 120 hours on type.

Drop me a line if you need one and I will ask around:O

Unwell_Raptor
12th Feb 2003, 20:39
So much for the people who say lawyers are shifty and self-serving. That will show them!

FFly
13th Feb 2003, 20:44
Thank you all for your advice. After looking at the CAA exemption certificate, my reading of the paperwork is that the CAA say that I can fly in or over the UK without a G registration being displayed, but this is limited to the UK.
However I am going to assume that as the authority responsible for UK registered aircraft the CAA will be recognised by the French as authorised to let me fly to France withoutr a paint job being required.
FNG Do you know what necessary permissions the owners of G- BPCL had to get from the French authorities?

Doghouse, I would be interested in a contact name and number for the dinghies.

Legal approach. I like your suggestion of taking a lawyer. Perhaps you can put me in touch with one, preferably with Bulldog experience; but of course lawyers with this kind of experience must be as rare as hens teeth. However Perhaps if you could find me someone who fills the job description he could be persuaded to accompany me if I was to make it worth while???????
;)

Unfortunately however he would have to fight my son for the privelige as he has already booked the RH seat (or possibly the LH seat if he finishes his PPL training this year):eek:

Doghouse
17th Feb 2003, 21:50
Ffly, sorry for delay in getting back to you about dingy info. I couldn't find out much.

The guy's name is Des Hall and the company is S.E.S. based at Kemble. I have no contact number but try the tower there and they may be able to help. I'm told his building is "by the Delta Jets hangar" if that helps.

If you can give me some contact details for you, I'll give you the number of my friend who owns the dingy and bulldog. He says he's happy to talk to you about it if you want any advice from him.

FNG
18th Feb 2003, 06:39
I don't know precisely what the owners needed to do, but they did not give the impression that it was a big deal, A call to the aircraft registration people at the CAA would probably provide the details. Or perhaps ask the Bulldog Club.