PDA

View Full Version : ANR Headsets

timdoyly
11th Feb 2003, 14:59
Which product achieves good balance between passive and active noise reduction in speech frequencies.
Many manufacturers confuse issue by quoting attenuation figures in a range of inappropriate? frequencies.
Hoping to hear from all those single and twin piston pilots with 'ears on' experience who can recommend the best.
(If that's allowed on Pprune)

Tonker Towns
11th Feb 2003, 21:08
Hi,
for what it's worth i got a Pilot Communications(the black one) 15 months ago and it's not unitl its battery runs out do you realise how good this ANR stuff is.
Had a number 3 cylinder play up last year and heard the onsett a marked sooner than my passenger.
After 5-8 hours of instructing worth every penny,got the Pilot Comms because it had built in battery and was self contained.
Original boom too floppy to make proper seal so Pilot Comms send you new bolt on metal thing that makes it much better.

On a totaly different note i'm currently delivering library books round the country to supplement my FI wage,went to West Malling today which was nice and am curious who has what job to keep the cash coming(more bizaare the better.
Regards Chris

Mister Geezer
13th Feb 2003, 18:22
I recently bought a Bose ANR headset and I traded in my David Clark 13.4. The Bose unit is very well designed and I am certainly very pleased with it. The big difference that I notice is that if I was flying for over an hour with sunglasses on then I would feel some discomfort due to the pressure of the ear cups from the DC headset. I don't have this problem with the Bose unit, which is the most comfortable headset I have ever worn. I have not used another type of ANR headset so I can't compare but I find the Bose ANR very effective. The Bose unit is not cheap so it is probably not worth it for a PPL who might not fly that regularly but for a professional pilot then an investment in a Bose headset would be money well spent in my view.

Cheers

Stan Evil
14th Feb 2003, 18:10
Like Tonker Towns I've got a Pilot and have been very happy with it. The internal batteries mean you don't get the heap of extra wires that come with some ANRs and don't have to worry about battery packs etc. I've tried the Bose and its active noise reduction is outstanding but it gives me a pain on the top of my swede - maybe I'm a funny shape - try to borrow from other people to find which one best suits you.

FL245
19th Feb 2003, 11:18
Hi Mister Geezer

I looked at the Bose ANR a few weeks ago. Was very impressed with the feel of it, but was concerned how long the would batteries last as i fly commercial.

How long have you been getting out of the batteries and how much did you end up paying for the headset?

Cheers