PDA

View Full Version : Idemnity Insurance

pal
10th Feb 2003, 19:22
Given the ongoing CM for the F15 crash there has been a rumour circulating work about top level brass in the Mil ATC advising controllers to take out Insurance etc. Anyone heard anything about this?

pal

whowhenwhy
11th Feb 2003, 07:48
There was a letter circulated to all ( I believe) mil ATC units by our air ships sometime last October-ish time. While it didn't say that we should, the hint was there plain to see. At least it was to the other 59 or so mil Atco's that I work with! Anyway, basically the letter said that if something happened and we were found to have not followed procedure to the exact letter (ie word for word), then we WOULD be held accountable by them on high, and all that that means. As I posted on the mil aircrew site, I guess we then have to approach an insurance company and ask for liability insurance. Problem! When the insurer says, "what can we expect as a worst case scenario?" What kind of reply are we going to get if we say, "well I guess the worst case might be wrapping a fast-jet around a Jumbo-Jet!" Maybe if we do get insurance our insurers will put a clause in the contract saying that we are only going to be able to work mil ac, as we are mil controllers and do not have relevant civilian ATC qualifications. What then for the Penine Radar task?

Just a thought!

Carbide Finger
11th Feb 2003, 14:18
I made enquiries as to Personal Indemnity Insurance for a Civvi ATCO; the cost would have been more than I could EVER expect to earn per year. This was pre the mid air in europe.

I can make enquiries for you guys if you would like and will post them to your private messages?

CF

G&J
28th Feb 2003, 22:39
".....Anyway, basically the letter said that if something happened and we were found to have not followed procedure to the exact letter (ie word for word), then we WOULD be held accountable by them on high...."

During the F15 CM even the prosecution stated that Spot had broken no ATC rules or regulations - and they still hung him out to dry!!! Where does that leave current mil ATCOs? Would you be happy to plug in your headset for an employer that will court martial you for doing your job and then ignore or alter the evidence that proves your innocence?

All mil ATCOs should join GATCO immediately, at least they look after their controllers!