PDA

View Full Version : Landing in private field in Holland

QDMQDMQDM
10th Feb 2003, 11:47
I have a friend in North Holland with a large field. Am I allowed to land there, as I would be int he UK? Anyone know?

QDM

[u]
10th Feb 2003, 12:22
No this is not allowed.

Aanwijzingsbesluit Luchtvaartterreinen (http://www.luchtvaartbeleid.nl/dgl/regionale+luchthavens/aanwijzingsbesluiten/default1.asp?id=0)

Cheers,
-aj-

QDMQDMQDM
10th Feb 2003, 12:33
Shame. It would be ideal. Thanks anyway.

QDM

[u]
10th Feb 2003, 12:57
Yes, but noise abaitment rules and a general anti GA mood
in the .NL makes every 'nice' thing for GA alsmost impossible.

.NL only has about 4000 PPL/RPL (=NPPL) pilots so there is
no incentive for politicians to 'commit' to GA hence 'these
rich guys who polute the air and make s much noise should
go away, flying for fun is bad' ..

(and people in the UK think their situation is bad :( )

Circuit Basher
10th Feb 2003, 13:10
QDMcubed - I'm confused - did I miss the lunchtime news? ;)

Am I allowed to land there, as I would be int he UK? Anyone know?

Shirley you mean EEC (oops, sorry - EEC's a banned acronym now - must be the Federal Republic of Europe!).

Suggest you take 2 patients and have a lie down!! ;) :)

Jhieminga
10th Feb 2003, 18:23
As written in the local law: "It is not allowed to land an aircraft anywhere but on a field designated as an airfield."
And obviously this list of stretches of dirt designated as airfields is quite short.....

This same wording is the reason that our small country was totally off limits to any floatplane or amphibian. This has only changed in recent years and we now boast the total of two (2) float-equipped airplanes, with (I think) one (1) stretch of water designated by the proper authoritites as 'fit for use by suitably equipped aeronautical vehicles'.

Sad really....:(

Crossedcontrols
11th Feb 2003, 10:46
What happens when the oily fan stops, do you get prosecuted for sucesfully landing safely in a field ?
Must be a big pain for balloonist and gliders.

CC

QDMQDMQDM
11th Feb 2003, 11:38
Hmm, wonder what would happen if I landed cos my cowling 'came loose'?

QDM

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Feb 2003, 11:54
Hmm, wonder what would happen if I landed cos my cowling 'came loose'?

You would have to contact the Dutch equivalent to the AAIB who if they genuinely thought that all was cosher may give you permission to take off again.

Every landing with a powered aircraft (even a non self launching motorglider is powered for this discussion) other than in on a designated field is deemed to be an emergency and would normally attract the attention of the local constabulary who would pretty automatically contact the Dutch CAA etc etc etc.

In short I dont think it would be worth the hassle.

If you are serious about trying to land in your mates field the following needs to happen.

1. Your friend needs to give you permission
2. The local council (and more precisely the local Mayor) will have to give permission with that you
3. Contact the CAA who may grant permission.

This can be granted for certain occasions but dont hold your breath.

Dont think the Dutch authorities are as laid back as the proverbial Dutch attitude is supposed to be.

Actually my wife thinks that the Dutch are an uptight lot but then she is married to me!

:D

FD

Radar
11th Feb 2003, 14:02
QDM X3,

Tough luck mate .... you're headed for one of Europe's grave yards as far as GA is concerned. Regulated and charged (almost) out of existence. In comparison to Germany (or even Belgium) it's hardly worth the hassle ... and that's playing it by the book, never mind trying something as unspeakable as an off airfield landing !!

In any event, enjoy the trip. What's plan B ... EHGG ?

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Feb 2003, 19:21
Radar,

Smack on the nail.

When I have the pleasure to be taken to the low countries by his mate in his twin we now go to Antwerp rather than the nominally better placed Eindhoven.

The money saved goes a long way towards the fuel, car hire, accomodation, food for the duration of the trip.

Yep that is a bad as it gets.

Tried flying into EHGR once as it is even better placed to the homeground.

More chance of winning the lottery.

Arrogant bunch or what.

<rant/>

Aerobatic Flyer
11th Feb 2003, 20:27
I got my PPL in the Netherlands. The UK is a GA nirvana by comparison....

For example:

Medical. Half-day event at the national testing centre, booked many many weeks in advance.
PPL ground exams. Can be taken two or three times in the year, at a testing centre. Mine had to be oral, with Dutch CAA examiners because my Dutch is not so goed.
Landing fees. Charged every time you descend below 50 feet. You have a strong financial incentive to learn circuits quickly! I never did any solo circuit practice, as it was too expensive.
The instrument training can only be given by a licensed instrument instructor, of whom there aren't very many. Not a bad idea, but it slows things down a lot.
The GFT has to be taken with a CAA-employed examiner.
In my entire training, there were only 2 flights when I made it higher than 1500ft!
Etc.

On top of which the weather is probably even worse than the UK!

It's a shame, because there are some lovely places to fly to in Holland, and the people are always very welcoming.

But landing in someone's garden? Not likely!

QDMQDMQDM
11th Feb 2003, 22:04
I'm told Midden Zeeland is quite nice, though...

QDM

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Feb 2003, 22:15
Nice and good food too!

Had a bit of a fly in to it last September.

FD

max roll rate
11th Feb 2003, 22:22
A friend and i have just delevered a extra 200 to sweeden,and we had to wx divert to Midden Zeeland , we were warmly welcomed by the people from the local maint unit who put the aircraft away for us then gave us a beer on the house, the airfield manager gave us a lift into town to a nice hotel and helped us flight plan in the morning , midden zeeland is a must if you go through holland . :O :O :O
p.s go find the cessna 195 it is a stunner

Radar
12th Feb 2003, 00:06
'Flyin'Dutch,
morgen, mijn vriend,
glad you didn' take exception to my comments (still feel a bit of a guest sometimes although I've lived here for 15 years) just calling it as I see it. As far as EBAW is concerned .... dep. westerly / app. easterly scares the livun' sh1t out of me. Loose an engine on final and your gonna get yourself a prime piece of real estate !!!!!!

Aerobatic flyer,

In defense of the RLD (Dutch CAA), I had reason to 're-sit' the PPL 'written' exams three years ago, and I have to say I found the fact that they could lay on examiners to take the exams orally in english, fantastic, can't see too many other countries going to those lenghts. (I'm open to correction here.)

QDM X3,

Quite right..... EHMZ is a great little place, especially during the summer. Land, park up, enjoy lunch on the terrace watching the comings and goings. If you're lucky to include the Fokker group from Seppe doing their thing ! Fantastic.

Aerobatic Flyer
12th Feb 2003, 08:24
Radar

You're right - it is impressive. And I found the exam experience quite enjoyable, with each subject being examined by a small panel of experts who tested whether I really understood the subject as well as just going through the mutiple choice questions. On the human performance exam, the examiner didn't bother asking 3 questions from the written test as he thought they were stupid! He then made up 3 alternative questions of his own!

But for Dutch speakers, the whole process was remarkably complicated compared to the informal UK approach. Written tests under exam conditions, and - in the year I did my PPL - only 2 days in the year available for taking the exams.

One feature of the Dutch PPL which was excellent, however, was the mandatory international flight. Holland is a small country and most flights are likely to cross a border, but I think I learnt more on my day trip to Germany and Belgium than in any other part of my training.

Kolibear
12th Feb 2003, 08:48
All of which does beg the question - If we are going to end up with harmonised EU legislation, will Holland discover the benefits of free flight, or will the UK get clamped down?

LowNSlow
12th Feb 2003, 09:07
Kolibear hopefully the former but more likely the latter if other regs are anything to go by...:*

Radar
12th Feb 2003, 10:41
Have to agree with LowNSlow,

The more I see JAR in operation, the more I reckon they (the powers that be) are out to annihilate GA, certainly at grass roots level. Next step ... re-clssification of airspace. Let's hope for the best .... but I fear the worst.