PDA

View Full Version : Instructing on FAA CFII Ticket

rosewellian
6th Feb 2003, 21:37
Can FAA rated CFII's based in UK apart from doing BFR & ICC for FAA certificated pilots legally carry out ab-initio for Private cert or Instrument instruction in G-reg aircraft?:confused:

BEagle
6th Feb 2003, 22:09
What type of 'ab-initio' and/or 'instrument' instruction? If you mean instructing towards a JAR-FCL PPL(A), then no - you'd need to hold a JAR-FCL FI Rating. To transfer a FI(A) Rating from a non-JAA state licence, you will need to hold a UK or JAR-FCL aeroplane licence which includes a valid SEP(Land) Class Rating or single pilot, Single Engine Type Rating, to meet the knowledge requirements for the grant of a JAR-FCL CPL(A), to have at least 200 hours of flight time on aeroplnes including 150 hrs P1C if a PPL(A) holder or 100 hrs as P1C if a CPL/ATPL(A) holder. Then you have to have also flown various hours requirements (total, instrument, cross-country) before you fly the pre-course entry flight test. If you pass that, you may then start the FI course (15 hours of flight training and 30 hours of ground training) - then you take the FI Skill Test with a suitably qualified Flight Instructor Examiner (Aeroplanes)......

However, if you mean can you instruct towards a FAA licence in G-reg ac then sorry, I don't know.

StrateandLevel
8th Feb 2003, 18:06
You cannot give any instruction in a G Reg aircraft unless you have a UK or JAA licence with FI rating.

Article 21 (4)(a)(2) of the UK ANO permits ICAO licence holders to fly G-Reg aircraft for private privileges but specifically forbids any flight instruction.

rosewellian
8th Feb 2003, 22:37
Thanks for both replies you have given me the info I need, for the amount of ad-hoc part time instructing i'm interested in I certainly dont want the cost of going the JAR route so guess I will have to settle for doing FAA bienniels or sourcing N reg a/c if any instruction is needed.

Saint
26th Feb 2003, 10:23
I believe that you can instruct for FAA ab initio training in G-REG a/c with permission from the DOT and CAA. I think American flight training in Norwich does this - give them a call (Tom Houghston) may be able to help.

Good luck.