PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel Fly In Turweston 16/3/03

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Feb 2003, 19:05
Dear All

As a result of a discussion on this forum a cunning plan has been formulate to meet up on the 16/3/03 at either Turweston or Sywell.

As it is currently getting further and further buried in the Little Cubs thread I thought it would be a good idea to advertise this undertaking a bit wider, hence this thread.

Once the venue has been decided I will post a link to a Fly In page on the Hangar site.

FD

http://thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=54

QDMQDMQDM
5th Feb 2003, 22:29
Great stuff. I gather there is also a Cub / Auster fly-in at Old Sarum or Popham in April (not official VPAC or IAC). Anyone know more about this?

QDM

paulc
6th Feb 2003, 07:18
Popham events for 2003

Jodel club 13 April
Tail draggers - 11 May
De Havilland - 8 June
Canine - 13 July
Auster Fly-in - 14 September
Luscombe/Pietenpol/Autogyro Fly-in (Solent Aviation Society)
21st September

Plus a microlight trade fair 3/4 May with Aerojumble on 5th May
and another aerojumble on 28 September.

I will be there for most of these so come across to the big green/white striped tent and say hello

Crossedcontrols
6th Feb 2003, 13:02
I can't make that date, away on business.
I might be able to send the Cub with another from our group.

Hopefully this will be the first of many.

CC

nonradio
6th Feb 2003, 16:02
Still need a strip to fly into as well, otherwise thrashing round in other people's machines is going to get v. expensive quite apart from hassle factor of training circuit traffic etc.
I suggest Shotteswell for the hooning.

LowNSlow
6th Feb 2003, 16:36
Can't make the 16th I'm afraid, 6th April (assuming the Pprune Fly-in is still on for the 5th) is the earliest I can make it.

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Feb 2003, 17:11
Nonradio,

I have no connections (well virtually none - sorry HP) at Shotteswell so I can not organise something there.

I would suggest that we meet up at one of the earlier mentioned fields in a mutual convenient time window (1100-1400?) and those who want to go on and do some further flying to other fields/strips can do so at their convenience.

Whatsay?

FD

matspart3
6th Feb 2003, 18:50
Can I bring my WAG Aero Cuby...or would I be an outcast among the purists!!??

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Feb 2003, 06:38
mp3

I will change the header because obviously all are welcome, probably best illustrated by the fact that I will turn up in a Citabria!

:D

FD

Kingy
7th Feb 2003, 08:24
So is It Sywell or Turweston?

Turweston would be better for me (as it's closer!) but I don't mind either way.

What do we think...?

Kingy

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Feb 2003, 11:46
Kingy et al

I asked BRL to change the header and in the process decided unilaterally and undemocratic to go for Turweston.

It is a bit more central and has the option of circumnavigating the landing fee by buying fuel (40 ltrs IIRC)

Hope that meets with your approval.

FD

FNG
9th Feb 2003, 16:55
I shall try to come, hoping to drool over some Austers, and will be willing to trade Cap 10 rides for trips in Cubs, Austers etc.

QDMQDMQDM
9th Feb 2003, 17:04
I'll try to be there. I'm nowhere near as bad-tempered in real life as I sometimes appear in this forum!

;-)

QDM

Keef
9th Feb 2003, 23:36
Can't come - working that day - but have a good one! See you all somewhere this summer, no doubt!

Mussels at Midden Zeeland again, perhaps? Or Kippers at Kilmarnock?

FlyingForFun
10th Feb 2003, 09:32
You'll have to put me down for a "hopefully" for this one... Friend's birthday that weekend, not sure what his plans are yet, I'll try to convince him to celebrate on Friday night so I'm fit to fly on Sunday!

FFF
---------------

PS - I hope my monowheel counts as a tail-dragger, it's not exactly conventional. Main wheel is in front of CofG, and there's a little wheel at the back, so I guess that's good enough!

AerBabe
10th Feb 2003, 09:52
And Coventry is on your way FFF, so you could practise your hard-surface landings there, and pick up a navigator at the same time!

Kingy
10th Feb 2003, 11:08
Im in,

As for the free landing fee... 40X25p (the difference 'tween mogas and 100ll) = £ 10 ...dam!

Aerbabe

May have a spare seat in the Cub - my usual pax can't make it...

Kingy

FlyingForFun
10th Feb 2003, 11:19
AerBabe, my spare seat is yours for the day. (Assuming I can make it, of course...) But aren't you nearer to Cranfield than Coventry now???

FFF
-----------

QNH 1013
10th Feb 2003, 11:22
I should be able to bring a taildragger but has anyone checked with Turweston that we won't have to pay another fee every time we land? That was the problem with the Sywell Fly-in last year and rather limited the scope for swapping flights in each others aircraft.

AerBabe
10th Feb 2003, 12:10
Kingy - Thanks for the offer, check your PMs! :)

FFF - You're right of course... Well, currently I'm not close to anywhere. Even Welshpool and Sleap are around an hour away. :( But yes, by March I'll be much closer to Cranfield than Coventry.

QNH 1013 - Is Mrs QNH going to be able to make it this time? How is her training going?

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Feb 2003, 13:27
QNH

I can not make any promises at the moment but will enquire.

Have you folk all put your interest on the link to the The Hangar page.

I may be better able to wangle a reduction in wonga if there is a good turnout.

FD

QNH 1013
10th Feb 2003, 16:32
Flyin'Dutch' Yes, well worth making an enquiry, and yes, I'll post my details when I know which taildragger I'll be bringing.

AerBabe, Yes, Mrs QNH should be able to come (work permitting). She completed her "safety pilot's course" in November and did most of the course in the yellow Jodel. She took the final assessment at Coventry in a Cessna and couldn't believe how easy they were to keep straight on the runway. She also found having a DI made it a lot easier to follow radar headings. D & D and Coventry Radar were super. She wrote a piece in this forum about the experience. I'm not clever enough to put the link in but it was called "How to claim on the Insurance by Mrs QNH 1013" and was posted to this forum on 4.11.02.
She's not had much chance to fly since because of work pressures, but I think she is planning on doing the RT exam next.

FlyingForFun
11th Feb 2003, 08:16
Cranfield it is then, AerBabe. Which is good, because I think it's slightly less out of the way than Coventry!

Looking likely I'll be able to make this one, but still waiting for definite confirmation.

FFF
-------------

max roll rate
11th Feb 2003, 22:32
Update on the landing fee and fuel
you have to uplift 60 ltrs not 40 ltrs im afraid to get a free ldg fee
I will see if i can arange for a deal on the landing fees with the airfield director cant promice but i will do my best.
we have kept off the grass all winter so its in good shape if you need to use it on the day .
regards max roll rate aka "turweston radio"

:p

QNH 1013
12th Feb 2003, 07:08
MaxRoll Rate,

Thanks for the info. My aircraft tank is less than 60 litres so not much chance for me. It would be useful if we could pay just one landing fee for the day so that we can sample the joys of each others aircraft without breaking the bank. Sywell have done this in the past - providing you ask them in advance if you can arrange a fly-in there.

Warped Factor
12th Feb 2003, 11:16
Turweston is one of the free landing vouchers for March in the latest issue of Flyer.

Thanks Ian, nice timing ;)

WF.

ianfallon
13th Feb 2003, 17:44
FNG - I would love to swap a ride in our Auster for one in your CAP10 - loved my 30mins in the CAP10 a while back :)

Sadly am on hols in Italy so can't make it to this one :(

Ian

FNG
18th Feb 2003, 06:46
Never mind Ian, another time, and thanks for the offer

ping! back to the top

DamienB
18th Feb 2003, 21:21
A few quick piccies from the day (requests welcome but I didn't take pics of everything)...

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/auster.jpg

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/bulldog1.jpg

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/chipmunk1.jpg

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/chipmunk2.jpg

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/yak521.jpg

FlyingForFun
19th Feb 2003, 08:21
Fantastic pics "from the day", Damien. :ok:

But what day are they from? Just for a moment, I thought I might have missed the fly-in! :eek: But no, it's definitely not until next month - so these pics must be from another event.

FFF
---------------

Kingy
19th Feb 2003, 11:13
Just noticed the date on the topic header... Ha Ha no one noticed!

:D

Kingy

AerBabe
19th Feb 2003, 11:18
Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :{

Erm, fancy another on the 16th of March? :confused:

Hang on... the first post of the thread definitely says 16.03.03, as does the Hangar Fly-In link. *notices brain dribbling out of ears*

Whose is that lovely Chippie? (Sorry about the predictable question :O )

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Feb 2003, 12:10
:eek:

Uuuuh

It is of course the 16/3/03.

The thread originally had a different title so either myself of BRL who kindly changed it must have made a slip up.

Anyway nice piccies.

Hope the Wx is as good this time around.

IF you are coming put your name on the hangar page.

FD

Lowtimer
19th Feb 2003, 20:01
Having not been there before I dropped in on Saturday in NSOF's Cub, and what a lovely piece of grass Turweston has. Much less boggy than Sywell which even after the recent drier weather was getting really quiet churned up by the end of Saturday.

I will try to blag the club Cub or Tiger for the purpose of 16/3, but this may not be popular given weekend demand, and the syndicate Yak, in addition to having the third wheel at the wrong end, will probably be still in pieces for its annual. Anyway, I'll be there by air if possible, by car if necessary.

DamienB
19th Feb 2003, 20:10
Er... confused now! I read it as 16/2/03! And there *was* a fly-in, so...

Bleurgh. Does this mean I have to go to another one now? Tsk. The hardship.

LowNSlow
19th Feb 2003, 21:24
I originally posted the following on the 5th April Pprune Flyin thread but thought it might be more appropriate here:

Was somebody looking for a Cub to buy? For the non-PFA members try +353 53 46225 (home) +353 86 816 4536 (mobile) or email [email protected]. I'm sure Mr. Wallace won't mind me lifting his numbers from his ad in Popular Flying to publicise them to a wider audience. Oh yes, it's 3600 TTSN, 1300 SMOH on an 1800 TBO. New mags, tailwires and instruments plus a recent prop. It's yellow and the chap wants £11,500. Getcha cheque books out and book a flight to the Emerald Isle BRL 'tis nothing to do with me, just spreading the word!

DamienB at least you weren't on your own mixing up the dates judging by the (excellent) pics you took :D

PS That's a lovely red Auster. Wish mine was that shiny.......

Rallye Driver
20th Feb 2003, 11:22
The Fly-in last Sunday was organised by the VAC. We flew in about 14.30 amid very hazy conditions.

Talking to the VAC bod who booking everyone in, there were 34 arrivals (at that stage), some of which were genuine vintage aeroplanes and others - such as the flexwings - which were welcome anyway.

Certainly a very enjoyable afternoon out, to which Damien's excellent photos certainly do justice.

Don't know whether we'll make it to the next one yet.

RD

FNG
24th Feb 2003, 13:23
back to the top in case anyone interested has not seen this thread

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Mar 2003, 11:36
An update.

We (well MRR) are working on the landing fee issue at Turweston at the moment.

For the first landing you can bring your voucher anyway.

The link to the booking page is duff at the moment but should be up and running again shortly (change of server).

As soon as I know more about either I will be back.

If teh weather is as good in 2 weeks as it is now, we'll be laughing.

FD

PS: Just edited the link and it is working again now so get your name on there.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Mar 2003, 15:03
Chippy booked - fingers crossed for the weather!!

SSD

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Mar 2003, 17:30
SSD

Would be good to see you again!

FD

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Mar 2003, 21:35
Quite amazing, FD. I somehow missed this thread and checked today 'on the off chance' if SL was available (I already had her booked 11 till 2). Very unusually (we are a big group, so weekends get booked!) no-one else had her booked, so I extended my booking to 'all day'.

Let' hope it's a good omen for getting there (and back). T'will be very good to meet you again too, FD ;~))

SSD

AerBabe
3rd Mar 2003, 22:16
Keep your hands to yourselves guys. ;)
Looking forward to seeing your Chippie SSD - thought it was a bit odd you hadn't posted on the thread.

Potter1
10th Mar 2003, 13:29
I presume this is still on?

FlyingForFun
10th Mar 2003, 13:43
I hope so. Weather permitting, I'll be there - with AerBabe in the right-hand seat. Hope to see lots of others there too! :)

FFF
-------------

Dusty_B
10th Mar 2003, 14:02
I'm flying a friend to Cambridge on Sunday, so I think we'll stop of at Turweston both ways - using my voucher out, and my fuel allowance back :)

Doesn't TW close early on Sundays, though?

Pleas please please could someone take me for a joyride in a Cub? I've never been in one, and want to try out some of that hedge hopping and STOL magic you guys keep talkin' about :O

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Mar 2003, 20:30
Folks,

Due to the fact that one of my Dutch flying mates is not very well I will not be able to attend myself at Turdy on Sunday. I will go this weekend to visit him.

As there was not much to be organised anyway I am sure that you will manage to entertain yourself.

Sorry not to be able to make it but you will all appreciate that this will have to take precendent.

Apologies

I wish you all blue skies ans fair winds.

FD

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Mar 2003, 12:15
Sorry you won't make it, FD. Best wishes for your friend.

BBC R4 lunchtime forecast today said the high now moving in from the west will build and remain established well into next week!!

So will the aeroplane go tech? Will it run out of hours before Sunday??

Fingers crossed that we make it, and that we all have a great day. Don't forget your 'Flyer' landing fee vouchers ;~))

SSD

QNH 1013
11th Mar 2003, 13:29
FD,

Sorry I won't have a chance to meet you on Sunday, but hope your friend turns out ok. Did you manage to sort out anything re the multiple-landings-with-one-fee idea so we can swop rides in each others a/c? I assume the operators at Turweston know they're hosting a pprune fly-in on Sunday?

Have a good trip and hope to meet you at a future fly-in.

QNH

Crossedcontrols
13th Mar 2003, 14:50
Doesn't look like the Cub will be going at all now.
I can't make it so take loads of piccies.

Have a good one.

CC

Flyin'Dutch'
13th Mar 2003, 15:57
QNH,

Thanks for your kind post.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes they know there is going to be a gathering
2. I did speak to Max Roll Rate and he was going to discuss it with the management. Not heard anything back yet, dont forget that you can use the Flyer voucher for at least one landing and buying fuel gives a further discount.

Hope the weather will be fine.

FD

QNH 1013
13th Mar 2003, 16:11
FD,
Many thanks.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the weather and < 15 knots cross-wind unless we can land on the grass. Now it looks like I'll be bringing the yellow 65hp Jodel, and may (yet to be confirmed) have a spare seat from EGNF or EGBM. Has anyone worked out how many taildraggers we are now expecting? I've rather lost track.

Flyin'Dutch'
13th Mar 2003, 16:19
Q

Have a look here:

FD

QNH 1013
13th Mar 2003, 16:25
Whoops, I'd forgotten that. I must have been working/drinking (delete as appropriate) too hard. I've now updated the aircraft details. Looks like there's going to be a good selection of interesting aircraft. Roll-on Sunday.

Lowtimer
14th Mar 2003, 15:45
I've been fortunate enough to lay my hands on a thematically appropriate steed, NSOF's 90-horse Super Cub, for the morning so Iwill be in bright and early on Sunday (the usual Sywell mist permitting). Have sworn to have it back at Sywell by 1pm though, so apologies if I can't stay long.

matspart3
15th Mar 2003, 17:26
Punctured tailwheel rules me out I'm afraid.....especially frustrating as this was to be my first pprune bash AND solo XC, having only completed my checkout yesterday:(

QNH 1013
15th Mar 2003, 19:14
Just checked the latest 18h TAF. The wind looks ok, but early morning mist (fog at East Midlands) may well delay some of us. Plan is still to arrive at 1100Z providing mist lifts in time, otherwise I'll arrive as soon as I can.

Birmingham TAF:
151605Z 160018 10005KT CAVOK BECMG 0003 6000 PROB40 TEMPO 0410 1400 BR BKN002 BECMG 1013 CAVOK

See you all there. Don't forget the flyer voucher.

QDMQDMQDM
15th Mar 2003, 22:06
Don't think I'll make it I'm afraid. Extremely windy down here today and forecast similar tomorrow. On a local flight today I was down to a rather bumpy 37kts groundspeed heading Easterly. Bit of local flying, if at all tomorrow.

Have a good time.

QDM

LowNSlow
16th Mar 2003, 09:21
Hope you got some good weather folks. It's snowing hard here :(

AerBabe
16th Mar 2003, 09:31
I'm sure the weather is lovely... if only I could see past the banks of fog that keep rolling past the window. :D
Actually, I saw the sun briefly a while back and I can make out the outline of the village church, so there's hope it will clear in time to make it to Turdy before they close...

FNG
16th Mar 2003, 14:30
Despite the fine weather, I could not go. I hope that those who did go had fun.

Warped Factor
16th Mar 2003, 15:46
Went up from White Waltham in the Chipmunk and there seemed to be a pretty good turnout. Quite a few folk had cameras so no doubt pictures will appear at some point.

It turned out a very pleasant flying day.

WF.