PDA

View Full Version : help me with my project, please :)

Pilot16
3rd Feb 2003, 13:23
Hello!

Im about to start building an electronic project for my AS Level course (it's courework)

I couldnt come up with any ideas so my teacher asked me of my hobbies and what I do in my spare time, I mentioned flying and he suggested that I build something that would be useful in the cockpit.

That was a great idea! but the only problem was, I couldnt come up with any decent ideas :( , well none at all. So I need your help. :rolleyes:

If you have any ideas for a piece of electronic equipment that would be useful in the cockpit...please do post them here (even though it might be the most wackiest complicated idea ever ;) )...id really appreciate them. :)

Thanks very much for reading.

P16

Kolibear
3rd Feb 2003, 13:43
How about electronic fuel gauge?

Maybe a strain gauge to measure the deflection of the bottom of the tank as fuel is added/removed.

Or how about a thermocouple in the carb that connects to a Carb Ice warning caption?

Pilot16
3rd Feb 2003, 13:48
Thanks very much for your reply kolibear,

you're last idea is appealing, that would involve a lot of research beforehand.

Thanks very much for your ideas, i will take those ideas into consideration....

please keep them comming. :)

Go-Around
3rd Feb 2003, 14:18
How about a voice activated checklist?
You say "pre-landing", it says "Brakes, Under...."

A very simple gyro, consisting of mercury switches?

I think the best bet so far is the Carb Ice detector, I'd buy one.

Monocock
3rd Feb 2003, 14:45
I have an idea for you.....

After reading the very long thread on "Judging the Flare" I was only thinking about this a few nights ago. Would it be tricky to design some system that involved a small distance sensing device that automatically came to life at 20 feet. This could be linked to a simple panel mounted display to show height above the runway.

I am not saying it should actually be used whilst landing but it would be a useful gadget for instructors to demonstrate height above the runway and to allow students to visualise from the cockpit exactly what height they are at.

OR.....

What about a BUZZER that goes off through the intercom when the fuel tanks need switching over?

OR.....

Some kind of sensor that can be installed into all new GA aircraft that records the "hardest" landing through the oleos. This tamper-proof system would make the next owner feel a lot happier if he knew what kind of stress his pride and joy might have been put through in days gone by.

Dusty_B
3rd Feb 2003, 17:23
You've got two great ideas there, both of which I'd buy:

I'm definately keen on the Carb Ice unit...

And also on a 'GA RadAlt'. At the low height and speeds of GA aircraft, you might get away with an ultrasonic transducer. You'd have to be very careful when calculating (and placarding) it's limits.
EG - not to be relied on. Not acurate at above 250'. Readings will be outside 'reasonable' limits when climbing or decending at rates above 300fpm below 50' and 150fpm above 100'.
If the unit could provide reasonably acurate readouts (+/- 50') while straight and level at altitudes of up to 1000' (way out of the range of a sonic device), it would be a good tool for bimbling about at low level on sunny evenings...
... or even as a strictly 'unreliable' ground proximity device for inadvertant IMC or cloudbreaks.

AliB
3rd Feb 2003, 19:06
Pilot 16,

Sorry, but if your project needs to be completely original the carb ice detector is out. I flew a PA-28 with one a few weeks ago. :( However this one was notoriously unreliable so maybe a reliable carb ice detector? ;)

How about some sort of audio visual training aid? A few of cheap digital cameras to show external and internal views, an audio feed to record the R/T, if possible a digital recording of some instrument info - e.g. GPS track?. All recorded in a form suitable for re-running on the gound during debrief - e.g. a series of windows displaying the synchronised information?

Good luck with whatever you come up with,

AliB

Monocock
3rd Feb 2003, 21:56
I've had another idea!

A simple "cockpit-cam" for flying schools to monitor how their aircraft are looked after when hired out, for instructors to analyse their students performance after a first solo and for students to take a copy of their training nav. flights home to watch and improve etc.

It could have sound from the intercom that records all radio-work.

Not only that, but the quality of instructing might get even better if the hour-building instructors know they are being watched!!;)

Pilot16
3rd Feb 2003, 22:51
lol
much of those ideas are wayyy too advanced for me...

perheps the carb ice one?
The PROBLEM would be, my teacher or examiner would find it hard to relate to what is happening because it can only be put use in an aeroplane.

Here is how it may work (I am not good at electronics at all) so this is just ideas (im probably not going to do this at all!):

higher humidity means greater chance of carb ice right? (provided chamber temp drops to or below 0c)

It can work via a humidity sensor (which can be placed outside the aircaft?, ive seen these humidity sensors in the catalogue) the voltage produced from the humidity sensor can be shown proportinally via a bar graph display (a series of LED's), higher the humidity, the higher the reading on the bar graph display (more LEDs come up)...

but since carb ice only forms when the ambient temp inside the chamber falls below 0celcius or below, a thermister can provide the on/off feature, the bar graph display will only work after the temperature falls below 2celsius (to give a safety buffer ;) ), theoratically the thermister should be placed in/around the chamber (if thats at all possible), since carb ice can form in OAT of upto 30c

so in conclusion, the bargraph will display chance of carb ice forming by operating after the temperaature has fallen below 2c (and the bargraph showing level of humidity)

thereffore the greater the reading on the bar graph display, the greater the chance of carb ice forming.

Having said all that, I must say I am not good at electronics at all.
all this sounds too easy, i have no idea how i will actually build one. Even if i manage to build one, my teacher may not like it giving me a lower mark?

hmmmm....i might as well go back to the typical burglar alarm.

thanks for reading.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Feb 2003, 22:59
Firstly I'd recommend avoiding anything that needs certifying, otherwise you'll never be able to test it (unless you have use of a permit to fly aeroplane, but I'll discount that for the moment). So that eliminates sensors attached to most parts of the aircraft. Have you considered:-

- Transponder return detector (otherwise known as TPAS) - not original but you'll be on your own because nobody's going to tell you how the commercial units work.

- Any kind of passive air data recorder - this could cover a very wide range of designs and functions.

- Anything at http://www.bmaa.org/019_2.pdf

- Any kind of ground device for, say, measuring wind, visibility, light levels. Many American airfields have such devices with voice synthesisers that transmit something similar to realtime ATIS information - how cheaply could that me done?

- DGPS?

G

Wrong Stuff
3rd Feb 2003, 23:30
Pilot16 - I think the carb ice detector sounds a great idea. It's exactly the sort of real-world problem which your average teacher would love - a bit exotic, but not so complex that it takes more than a couple of paragraphs to explain the concept.

I believe most carb ice detectors simply measure the temperature within the carb, so adding the humidity gauge may even be something new. The most complex bit may be calibrating the two inputs (ie temp / humidity) so that you can predict the formation of ice. You may not need to actually do that bit, so long as you can come up with a viable scheme for carrying it out that you can write up.

I'd suggest this one to your teacher - bet they think it's a good idea.

Crossedcontrols
4th Feb 2003, 09:29
Have a look here, gives a circuit and product info for a temp/mumid sensor.

http://www.qsl.net/zl1vfo/wx200/temp_sensor.htm

If you want to simplify things why not have fairly crude measurements, linked to a beeper, advising the pilot to put carb heat on
i.e. High ice conditions - more frequent reminders etc

Good luck
CC

Davidt
4th Feb 2003, 10:08
Ive just ordered a digital carbon monoxide detector from the states - that might make a good project obviously not original.
good luck

Pilot16
4th Feb 2003, 15:07
Thanks v. v. much

I really am considering carb ice indicator (& not a detector!!)

perheps a humidity sensor maybe a new concept like 'wrong stuff' said?

any way, thanks again...anyone with electronics background who can help in making this would be wonderful.

Im not considering actually using my product (if I make it) on the aeroplane at all!!

just wondering, is it at all possible to place a small temperature sensor/thermistor inside the place where carb ice forms? :confused: it would feel good knowing the concept can be put to practical use someday :cool:

bye