PDA

View Full Version : Stick with it or change

Dewdrop
2nd Feb 2003, 17:50
I've been learning to fly since last May on 172's. I go to a small flying club. The club has only one instructor but the problem is he changes every couple of months (i've had five since May !). The lastest one left to do his IR in November and since then I can't get a firm date for when he's coming back.
Across the field is a straight forward flying school (no club) one instructor who has been around for ever, but who uses Cherokees.
My question is, should I stick with it or change.

Ronbmy
2nd Feb 2003, 18:08
If the club you are with cannot give you a date as to when you can resume your flying tuition then you could do a LOT worse then going to have a chat with the cherokee owner.

Having had so many instructors in such a short time would cause me to have grave doubts about the club.

Remember that it is YOUR money and you are paying for the lessons. If the club cannot provide an instructor then I would bale out.

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Feb 2003, 18:09
Hi Dewdrop,

I think for the sake of progress I would finish off my PPL with an outfit which ensures some continuity.

You don't have to burn all your bridges and can stay a member with your old club and go back to them and fly the clubmachines when ready.

I think that they would understand that you want to continue progressing and that it is reasonable to want a little more continuity than they have been able to provide to date (probably all beyond their control)

Keep us informed on your progress.

FD

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Feb 2003, 18:23
A spam can is a spam can. Go with the instructor, obviously.

QDM

HelenD
2nd Feb 2003, 18:29
If there is no instructor at your club I would change to another. As an alternative have you thought about taking some holiday from work and doing a block course at a flying school away from where you live.
I split my PPL between 2 flying schools several hundred miles apart from each other and learnt on 2 different aircraft types. The school in the area away from where I lived taught me over 3 trips 2 of the trips were a block of 2 weeks with a long weekend as well. I feel I also benefited from training in a block and it probably reduced the number of hours needed to complete as well as saving me money. The one possible drawback I have found is I fell in love with the area of the school i did the blocks at and now want to move to the area ASAP

MLS-12D
3rd Feb 2003, 20:28
No question, go talk to the Cherokee instructor. There's no point in putting up the 'revolving door' instruction at the club.

I agree with Flyin'Dutch' that you don't have to make a big deal about this with the club; you may just as well leave the door open to more flying there once you have completed your PPL.