PDA

View Full Version : Looking for night hours

baronvonmildred
13th Mar 2002, 03:48
Does anyone know where I could get some cheap night hours? I have a frozen ATPL with 1700 hours, but need about 40 night to get it unfrozen by the June deadline. I have air charter & multi exp plus instructor rating, (but no job)!

Freddy Forks
13th Mar 2002, 20:35
Von mildred- can you enlighten me as to what deadline you are on about. What will happen if you do not get the required 100 night hours total before the deadline?

Freddy Forks
13th Mar 2002, 21:12
Too late-. .I found the relevant document in the CAA website-all it means is after June 30th the CAA will not issue a UK ATPL. It means either converting to a JAA CPL/IR with ATPL exam credits or holding on to your frozen UK ATPL until you can convert to a JAA ATPL. Why the panic to get a full UK ATPL.

FlyingForFun
13th Mar 2002, 22:06
Out of interest, does anyone know if the requirement for 100 night hours still applies to un-freeze a JAA ATPL? My understanding is it only applies to the CAA license, but could someone please confirm?. .. .Thanks,. .. .FFF. .------------

baronvonmildred
14th Mar 2002, 04:11
Freddy Forks, Yes you are right, I can wait for 500 hours in a multi crew aircraft and get a JAA ATPL. However, after 10 years with a frozen one I'm still no closer to getting that kind of flying. Of course those of you who did a JAA course don't have this dilemma.

Dusty_B
14th Mar 2002, 17:00
If you've got a bit of spare capital lying around, I'd reccomend buying into a group aircraft with a landing permit at a night-flying airfield.. .But you'd better get your skates on, as you are running out of darkness...!

juggernaut
16th Mar 2002, 03:04
As I have posted earlier it is imperative you know that if you are in my position (UK CPL, no IR and UK frozen ATPL) then the letter the CAA wrote to me confirmed to my horror that if I do not have an IR by June 29th then I will lose my exam credits, after that deadline I will have to resit the JAR ATPL exams and complete an approved IR 55 hour course, this despite me having in excess of 4000 hours and 250 hours IFR! At the moment I am flying every night so I can get the green licence before its too late. When I sat the UK ATPL exams 5 years ago they were supposedly valid 10 years.

Pub User
16th Mar 2002, 03:27
Juggernaut. .. .wouldn't it be easier to do an IR? With your hours you could do a non-approved course (10-15 hours) then your ATPL Exam Credits would be safe for 7 years.

baronvonmildred
16th Mar 2002, 04:45
Juggernaut, thanks for the info. as my IR is coming up for five years I guess I need to renew that or I lose the credits. Or do I still have them. When I did the ATPL there was no time limit, so this ten year limit is news to me. My ten year limit is this year as well. Anyone know the rules on this?

Pub User
16th Mar 2002, 15:31
The rules on the CAA website, use the link below. Basically, if you have a CPL/IR with ATPL theory credits, the credits remain valid for 7 years from the last validity date of the IR. If you keep the IR current, you can keep this licence as long as you wish, you just have to renew it every 5 years. Alternatively you can convert it to a JAR CPL/IR, and still keep the ATPL theory credits.. .. .<a href="http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Cessation_UK_Prof_Licences.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Cessation_UK_Prof_Licences.pdf</a>

Pub User
16th Mar 2002, 15:35
Juggernaut. .. .I've just read your post again. You really do need to to an IR. Even if you get your night-flying requirements, you still need an IR to be issued with an ATPL. Without it, you don't have a 'frozen' ATPL, you've just got a CPL (like me!).