PDA

View Full Version : Re Airfields / Airstrips UK

Martinburney
31st Jan 2003, 21:21
Hi All

On the off chance you may be able to help, I'm still trying to locate some Airfields / Airstrips of the past. Can you help.

Harlescott, Shropshire, known as The Landing Ground, in the 1930's, used by Cobham

Lynsted, Kent, used by the US Army in WW2.

Banningham, Norfolk, open in the 1970's

Brancaster, Norfolk, open in the 1970's used by G-AXDI cessna

Long Sutton, Lincs, open in the 1970's, used by G-ATMM cessna

New Mills, Derbyshire, used by S Hobson up to 1960's

Maghull, Merseyside, used by North Liverpool Light Plane Club 1937

Wookey, Somerset used by Bristol Gliding Club 1948

Ecclefechan, Dumfries & Galloway

Addingham, West Yorks

Sheffield, South Yorks, near what was Cat & Fiddle & The Dog & Partridge Pubs,

Grumbla, Cornwall, poss. still used

Hook Norton, Oxon, poss. still used

Woodthorpe, Notts, 1970's used byG-OBMW grumman

Ystrad Mynach, Mid Glam, used byG-ATST

Leeds, West Yorks, Roundhay Rd, now Supermarket, but which one ?

Any help would be appreciated, 6 figure grid ref''s greatly.

Regards Martin

Cusco
31st Jan 2003, 22:07
Send a PM to Keef: He has been collecting a pretty extensive database over the years:

Safe flying

Keef
31st Jan 2003, 22:48
Hi Cusco! I sent Martin a copy on CDROM on the 15th Jan, but I don't think it's arrived yet - he's not acknowledged it, anyway.

I sent a load of copies to various members of the Airfields Research Group last year, and not one of those even bothered to acknowledge getting it. I find it sad that folks will ask me to do a fair bit of work to make a CD for them, write a careful introduction to explain what they've got and how to use it , walk to the post office and pay postage on it for them - and then won't even bother to say "thanks". Quite a few quid went down that plughole last year.

Not giving any more copies away to folks I don't know. Gonna spend that time incorporating all the extra info the good Listers have been sending me. Got a batch last week with about 60 new airfields from the 1920 - 1970 era. Amazing what some folks find in their attics!

Just waiting now to get my scanned copy of that set of 1937-1942 charts from you-know-who. That should solve a few of the "suspected duplicates" in the list.

Had the answer to quite a few open questions on Scottish airfields the other week. A kind helicopter operator from up there went and had a look at the ones near him that I was asking about! That's what I call above and beyond the call of duty!

I'm gradually building up a collection of aerial pix of the older ones - Richard got loads on his dawn-to-dusk and some subsequent trips, and Steve got some more a couple of weeks ago. This could yet become a book!

28thJuly2001
1st Feb 2003, 15:10
Agree with you there Keef,
A little 'Thank You' don't cost much but is worth a lot.
28th,,