PDA

View Full Version : Which job market is better US or Canada?

battraveller
29th Jan 2003, 17:31
Actually, I should probably ask, which market is less bad?

I have been working in the states for a jet cargo operator 4000+ hours, 1500 pic turbine, and 1000+ jet.

I could go back to Canada and work, would it be worth it? After three years at my company I am close to the bottom of the seniority list and if another furlough happens, that could be it for me.

If you had the ability to work both places, which would you choose and why?

Panama Jack
30th Jan 2003, 13:53
Ohhh please. Even if things were going well in Canada and poorly in the US, there are more jobs there. KFC has layed off. I believe Air Transat has people still furloughed, Jazz will be laying off, Air Canada . . . . ??? Unless you want to get on with Kenn Borek or Westjet. Go talk to the Fractionals-- I hear they are hiring a lot of furloughed airline pilots. Or check out www.climbto350.com. If I had my green card, there is no question on where I would be.

MLS-12D
30th Jan 2003, 14:39
All generalities are subject to exceptions, but essentially the USA has always enjoyed a better jobs: pilots ratio than Canada.

ipanema
3rd Feb 2003, 03:20
OK, put it this way... in "General", pilots are getting screwed in Canada.

Here's another way I can put it, too: stay in the USA and enjoy your job security, the lack of crap raining on you daily from this employer birds that fly over all day, and freedom from paying some of the highest taxes in the world (would you believe that with billions in surplus taxes there are journalists actually suggesting the addition of user fees to the health care system???).

This place is crazy... STAY THERE. No question. I'm sure that 99% of unemployed pilots here would cross the border too, if they had the opportunity.

Chuck Ellsworth
3rd Feb 2003, 15:10
Ipanema:

You forgot to mention the nightmare of CAR's regulating by our illustrious TC. :D

Cat Driver:

Granny
4th Feb 2003, 05:00
As a matter of interest , what is the tax rate in BC is there a federal tax then a state tax?

stud_lee
28th Feb 2003, 00:49
I'm Canadian and live in the US and have worked in both countries. Put it this way, a "bad" US economy still has more and better jobs than a “good” Canadian economy. The Liberal Government keeps saying how “good” things are and how the economy is “booming”, but it doesn’t look too hot from my end. Makes me wonder what “good” really means these days.

I'm working independently right now and things are very bad in the US, but I know from contacts that things are much worse up there, except for Alberta where they are benefiting from high oil prices. But that will most likely change after Kyoto comes into fruition.

As well, the work environment and culture is much less ridged down here and it’s easier to get promotions. Employers are also nowhere near as picky when it comes to qualifications. In Canada, they expect you to know the world even for an entry level position.

Working for the civil service is another story, however. It’s a really good job in Canada compared to the US.

I don’t really miss it too much anymore, but I miss my family a lot and I know things are really bad here right now. Still, I shudder to think of what would happen if I was in the same situation living up in Canada.

Granny: There are both federal and a provincial taxes. Federal taxes in Canada are traditionally lower than those in the US or Europe, but provincial taxes are very high. Combining the two, you will pay a very high rate...BC's is one of the highest in the country.