PDA

View Full Version : Does sounding professional assist in getting clearance into airspace?

k9medic
27th Jan 2003, 21:42
I have a long standing debate with my father whom is also a pilot. Several weeks ago, we were flying a C172 into Sarasota, FL and I wanted to transition the Class B airspace of Tampa. I made my initial call up and stated my request. I was immediately cleared through the Class B. My father was amazed since he, and other pilots like him have always been forced to stay out of the Class B airspace. I told him it was be cause I knew what I wanted and told ATC what they wanted to hear.

As a Commercial Helo pilot, I have experience talking with ATC on a regular basis, so I don't fear the radio.

I also was recently cleared though Washington, DC, and NYC airspace while flying a VFR ferry flight. During this flight I heard a pilot repeatedly call for IFR clearance, but was not using correct terms, and you could tell by the ATC's voice that he was getting upset with the pilot.

Does your tone/professionalism on the radio help to "dictate" clearance.

Scott Voigt
28th Jan 2003, 03:03
Hi K9

Traffic is the main reason as well as workload on getting a clearance, however, if the controller is right on the bubble as far as being too busy and just about having enough time to work one more. It doesn't hurt to sound like you have all of your eggs in one basket and know what you are doing. If you sound clueless on the radio and we are really busy. That could mean, we don't think that we are going to have the time right at this moment to sort you out too <G>... It is one of the things that I do talk about in my classes that I give at the center...

regards

Scott

vector4fun
29th Jan 2003, 13:54
Absolutely!

Whenever we're busy, a guy/gal who sounds like a pro and can say it and receive it quickly and concisely is going to have a better chance of getting what he/she wants. Likewise, someone familiar with local procedures and common reporting fixes has a better shot.

A pilot who blocks vital R/T time with useless drivel and lots of "uhs"; OR who we have to pry the necessary info out of by asking a dozen questions; is not someone you want/need on freq. during busy periods.

Also, there are certain things which ATC is NOT supposed to have to ask about or solicit. For example, "Are you requesting a SVFR clearance?" :rolleyes: