PDA

View Full Version : C152 Fuel Consumtion Rates

Easy226
27th Jan 2003, 12:59
Can anyone help me in providing the fuel consumption rates per hour for the cessna 152?
Many thanks
Dan

Vizsla
27th Jan 2003, 15:44
6 or 7 Gph depending on cruise RPM - mixture- height/altitude

Tee
28th Jan 2003, 07:04
The figure I recall is 4.5 Imperial Gallons per hour. Can't find my handling notes at the moment, but when I do, I'll check that.

Kermit 180
28th Jan 2003, 08:37
For the 152 we flight plan on 25 LPH, or 6.5 US GPH. Figures of 20LPH or 5.2 USGPH can be attained in cruise flight with 2300 RPM set (Lycoming O-235-L2C).

Kermie

djpil
28th Jan 2003, 09:51
If you don't want the info for operational reasons but just for hangar flying - go to the simulation websites such as
Simviation (http://www.simviation.com/fs_manuals1.htm)
I recall reading about an accident involving a student and instructor out doing steep turns. The combination of a flight 10 minutes longer than planned, higher power settings than average, fuel for planned flight plus reserve and assuming the normal average fuel consumption for a training flight left them just out of gliding range of the strip.

CrazyOne1203
29th Jan 2003, 15:20
At standard Pressure altitude and 75% Power (standard cruise setting) is about 5.9 US GPH. With 22 Gallon tanks you get about 4 hours to a full tank. four hours is REALLY Pushing it though. I train in it and we always refuel after 3 hours of use.

Kevin

Final 3 Greens
29th Jan 2003, 15:59
Easy

I am assuming that you are a student PPL from your profile, so forgive me if this is incorrect.

All of the figures quoted in the thread seem reasonable, given differing circumstances.

If I were you, I would get the POH and study the info for yourself.

This is because you will learn a lot about the variables - % power (and the rpm to achieve this), altitude etc.

And remember, the POH will usually say something to the effect 'with the engine leaned per the manufacturers recommendations.'

If you don't understand what this means practically (and there is no shame if this is the case, as we tend to fly fully rich in the UK when doing our PPLs), then talk it over with an instructor as the reduction in endurance if you are not leaned out appropriately can be very significant.

Hope this will be of some assistance.

D-OCHO
29th Jan 2003, 16:46
If I were you, I would get the POH and study the info for yourself.
Indeed study yhe POH but DO NOT RELY ON IT.
The POH is for a brand new aircraft and engine running indeed'with the engine leaned per the manufacturers recommendations' but also leaned by an test pilot.
I recommend for planning purposes use 6 GPH.
For test purposes writen or otherwise use the POH.

Easy226
30th Jan 2003, 11:29
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I dont know where to get a copy of the POH from , can anyone help me??
DAN

Mark 1
30th Jan 2003, 12:24
The owner or operator of the aircraft will have the POH, and as it forms part of the CofA he is obliged to make it available to you.
There is no copyright on it (for various legal reasons), so you should be able to make a photocopy.
Remember that it is this document and not your checklist which dictates how you should operate the aircraft, so give it a good read.

p.s. I fly an aircraft with the same engine and get 22l/h properly leaned at 2400 RPM, but as its a much better plane than the 152 it will be 3 or 4 up at 110 knots.

Final 3 Greens
30th Jan 2003, 14:52
D-OCHO

What an earth is this nonsense????

but also leaned by an test pilot

Of course it was leaned by a test pilot when it was being tested for certification!! :mad:

This irreponsible posting could give young pilots the impression that leaning is some kind of 'msytic art' beyond PPLs, when in fact it is a straight forward operation that can be learned in a few minutes from a good instructor.

If you lean the engine per the instructions and then plan sensible fuel reserves, the risk of being caught out by fuel starvation is much reduced.

Also, if operating from high altitude airports, it is necessary to develop full power for take off.

djpil
5th Feb 2003, 00:34
I finally found that article of a Cessna 150 which ran out of fuel just short of the runway - not a pretty sight.

TRAINING OPERATIONS: KNOW YOUR FUEL USAGE (http://www.flightsafety.org.au/articles/t0251.php)