PDA

View Full Version : Dish the dirt; Progress Flight Academy, S.A?

jimmyj
9th Mar 2002, 22:14
Anyone know of the above mentioned?. .. .What kind of employment would I secure after completing the Pro Pilot ATPL course (only £15,413, how come)? I am asuming I couldn't work in the UK after completing that course so what kind of jobs could I do?

MVE
10th Mar 2002, 03:47
Jimmy,. .. .Of all the searches I did on this site Progress was one of the few schools to have almost exclusively positive responses on them.. .. .If you want to fly from the JAA region, you will have to have a JAA license.. .This means all the training from 150 odd hrs PPL onwards must be on a JAR approved course, for those just starting out on the ATPL route.. .. .Check out the Progress Module One course for JAA modular preparation and I'll let you know how mine goes when I get back in June...... .. .Regards Rodders.

AeroBatfink
10th Mar 2002, 04:32
All I can say is that if you're intending on going there to do a full commercial licence, go there for three or four weeks and tour round the country visiting, and flying with, various schools. You won't really lose money on the hours you fly as you'll probably have to do some hour-building as part of your com anyway. The trip, and the insight you will gain into the SA market, will far, far, far outweigh the £500 or so you'll spend on the airfare. I can't emphasise enough how much you need to visit the country before you commit to any course.. .. .I did a Warrior conversion with Progress last year. The standard of instruction was excellent - I just really wouldn't want to live and work there. Choose carefully.. .. .By the way, the price is pretty average. Too good to be true? Not when you consider the price of the Rand and the difference in fuel prices between here and there. It is also possible to live very cheaply in SA, and it's a beautiful country, with great people (well, most of them, like anywhere you go).. .. .Email me if you want some info on flying in SA from a UK perspective.. .. .AB. .. .&lt;edited for typos because it's been a long day!&gt;. . . . <small>[ 10 March 2002, 00:36: Message edited by: AeroBatfink ]</small>

Julian
10th Mar 2002, 14:29
Anyone got the website address?. .. .Julian.

jimmyj
10th Mar 2002, 15:41
Hi all,. .. .Julian, the website is <a href="http://flightacademy.co.za" target="_blank">http://flightacademy.co.za</a>. .. .Rodders, you are quickly earning yourself a free pint of ale! Thanks for your advice, I would be willing to work in South Africa if they could pay me enough as an instructor/airline pilot to pay of a loan of £7000. My ambition is to work in the U.S/U.K but I have no ties here so would definitely be mobile after graduation.. .. .AreoBatfink, am emailing you for more info on living/flying in S.A.. .. .Cheers guys, keep the feedback coming (hopefully my thread won't be moved elsewhere this time!). .. .Jimmy.

Chris2
10th Mar 2002, 16:40
Hello Yorkshire lad. .. .Also consider looking at 43 Air School in Port Alfred. . .. .A very professional setup with an excellent reputation. They have a very structured training program and do training for several airlines including Comair (British Airways).. .. .The facilities and learning environment are fantastic and the scenery is awesome - whale-watching along the coast during your cross-countries flights!. .. .You will also, as part of the program, go on cross-country flights all over South Africa and you will do a week-long international cross-country to Botswana and Namibia.. .. .Port Alfred is a small, friendly seaside resort with everything you need except distractions!. .. .A South African license is not recognised by the JAA but there has been talk of 43 carrying out JAA training for a company from Holland. Not sure what the latest is, I would suggest calling Frik Schoombee or Steve Goodrick at 43.. .. .Have a look at their website <a href="http://www.43airschool.com" target="_blank">www.43airschool.com</a>. .. .I did my training at 43 and had a fantastic time there so I am speaking from personal experience. However you are doing the right thing by spending some time researching all your options. PPrune is a good place to start!. .. .Best of luck, regards Cloggie

cockroach-one
10th Mar 2002, 16:44
Progresses training is first rate, did my south African CPL there a few years back. They are situated in just the rigth place, as both instrument approaches and GF areas are just minutes away, and PE airport has all the modcons you could want. Of the major training companies in SA, they are the ones I would go back to - no question, and you get value for money, the price looks cheap, but your training will definately not be. Just look at you options and the JAA small print before you make your choice and also remember that so called September the 11th has also hit SA and that you will have to get a work permit, which could be an up hill stuggle, unless you have the right to work there.

south coast
12th Mar 2002, 19:17
york lad..... .i currently fly in sa, although in uk for 2 weeks at the moment....but if you do not have a work permit for sa, you are highly unlikely to get one as apilot...there are many low time unemployed pilots there at present and i know from friends that they do not rate foreigners highly when it comes to giving out work permits for pilots....working outside of sa, ie. namibia, botswana now thats a different story...be aware!