PDA

View Full Version : Visa Question Again?

BASIL007
14th Dec 2001, 22:47
There has been several previous threads on British Citizens trying to obtain the correct Visa for a flying course in the US, but I am not any clearer as to the correct visa to have in my case. I am an aged FAA CPL/IR/ME/CFI flyer(British Citizen) and would like to do the additional ratings of CFII and MEII. The aim would be to try to get my hours from 300 to 1500 in order for the ATPL to be had. Unfortunately, the US Schools I've spoken to can get me on the courses with a M1 visa but can't offer employment once the course has finished. In order for me to find instructors courses afterwards at different schools methinks the M1 (Student visa) is not the correct one and a J1 visa may seem more appropiate. Am I right or wrong?. I think that having spent a boat load of money getting thus far there has to be a correct visa to get to the next step rather than telling US immigration a load of lies on entry. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced Schools who can help with the correct visa? ;)

OAT-Texas
15th Dec 2001, 00:16
Basil,

You are correct with your conclusion that the J-1 visa is the required visa if you plan to instruct in the US. Unfortunately, you will no longer qualify for the visa because you hold a FAA CPL and are considered "trained" in the eyes of the State Department. The J-1 Visa is designed for "untrained" individuals to come to the US, receive their training and then complete practical training by working as flight instructors.

Unfortunately, your choices are very limited at this point. I would also caution you of lawyers offering to "help" you file for work papers. Lawyers get paid for the actual filing of the application not the result and I have seen many pilots lose thousands of dollars in the process. Now does it never work…no there have been some that got lucky but its not the norm.

masseygrad
15th Dec 2001, 13:23
OAT-Tex,

What about a JAA or other (eg CASA) CPL ? Does that prevent you from obtaining a J-1 visa?

cheers...

hellcat
18th Dec 2001, 06:53
An M1 Visa looks like your main option although it doesn't allow you to work. Although having a CPL hinders you obtaining a J1 I don't think it eliminates you.
A J1 visa will allow you to work in any field directly connected with flying (i've seen UK citizens work as baggage handlers, presumably a loop hole but one that exists none theless
For most if not all student visas, you need to find a school who will 'sponsor' you. Try talking to the visa/overseas dept of American Flyers (Pompamo beach FL).I've just looked through my collection of buisness cards but cannot find the address or number but they are the ones who advertise in most uk flight mags.
I've spoken to alot of 'us acadamys' but these seem the most honest and informed, they hold visa application forms also.
This may sound obvious but if you do get a visa form from a school don't count on it being accepted. I suggest that you complete it, submit it then see what happens.
The premium rate number for the US embassy will be of no help as they will only tell you half truths or at least eliminate the really useful information.
As mentioned in a previous post, forget lawyers, i've heard too many horror storys to ever suggest that route.
Remember also despite having a visa, once you reach US immigration there is still a possibility of being turned away.
Once you are there however should you apply for an extension etc. directly to the local immigration dept you can legaly stay there until you hear otherwise and this can take a long time.

[ 18 December 2001: Message edited by: hellcat ]