PDA

View Full Version : It's been some time....

Papa Charlie
23rd Jan 2003, 10:21
Greetings one and all,

It’s the time of year – wet and windy weather, soggy grass runways, little daylight time, too much Xmas spirit…… It happened this time last year – 3 months of not flying. My log book entry is dated 19/10/02. :(

If last year was anything to go by a check-out flight will be needed (club rule) with an instructor and I’ll get in and won’t for the life of me remember where the nav lights switch is, how to switch the radio on, miss something important off the check list, etc.

But once I start rolling down the runway everything comes back to me and everything feels as familiar as it was when I last flew. Just like riding a bike for the first time after a few years. Until the landing and you forget something like full pre-landing checks!

Just wondered if others have similar thoughts and feelings after not flying for some time?

:)

PilotOnline
23rd Jan 2003, 11:41
Hi Papa Charlie,

I know what you mean. Last weekend was the first flight I've had since my GFT in October 2001:eek:

In the run up to the check ride I revised everything I'd learned during the PPL course and thought I'm bound to forget the correct procedure for a PFL or muck up a glide approach because I haven't got the speed right etc.

But as you say the minute we were airborne it all came back!! I was a bit rusty on maintaining altitude and did take a couple of goes at getting the approach right on the PFL but everything else went just fine! :)

CoodaShooda
23rd Jan 2003, 12:12
Can I try for the record?

From logbook

30/12/1978 (yes 78) C150 VH-BNM 50" local flight

next entry

4/7/1998 (yes 98) C150 VH-*** 1' 40" Certified as having passed an Aircraft Flight Review.
(I've left the rego anonymous as I do not wish to possibly identify the person who considered me safe to fly after such a long break. I did not share his confidence in my abilities but we did walk away from the landings.) :rolleyes:

GroundBound
24th Jan 2003, 08:26
I got my PPL in 1966 and managed to acquire the magnificent total of 42 hours by 1968. Then it all went quiet for over 30 years, due lack of money and time and opportunity.

I climbed back into a light aircraft in October 2001 - and not a type I had flown before. This was at a moderate sized airport with regular passenger traffic, in Class A airspace.

To my horror and astonishment, the instructor sat quietly by as I taxied between the Ba46'S and just let me get on with it. I didn't even know the target speeds...

Full power, 60kts, the aeroplane obviously wanting to fly, so stick back, hold 70kts - seemed reasonable (check your T's and Ps please), and lo and behold I could still do it. A bit ragged of course, and the first turn was a bit unsteady, but it all came flooding back.

By the end of the hour I actually felt I could fly it - not as smoothly as required, but it was probably better than a first solo. :D

Did another 25 hours to get the PPL renewed, and now fly as regularly as the pocket book will allow.

Yes, a three month lay off does take the edge off one's sharpness but once back in the air it all feels right again. :)

spils
24th Jan 2003, 12:03
i flew for the first time in 3 months the other weekend, and also had to do a club check. i knew what i was supposed to be doing, but my circuits were rather scruffy to say the least. i got it on the ground safely each time though, and the instructor was pleased enough to let me lose again -- more fool him!! i felt a bit funny, so spent an hour the next day just going round and round in the circuit getting some practice in.
it does all come flooding back though very quickly, and the club check is definitely a good idea. he knew i was safe, and sent me off with some pointers that got me back into it in no time!!

CoodaShooda
24th Jan 2003, 12:18
Ground Bound
That is a record I'm glad I don't hold :D I'd have to say my experience was similar to yours.

On the subject of the need for check flights, it was brought home to me when a DC9 FO wanted to hire the club C150. He was most irate that the CFI required a check ride but then embarrassed himself by looking for 105 kts Vr on takeoff. CFI reported the bumptious one was actually trying to hold it down past 70 kt before being gently reminded what he was sitting in.

Just as well the strip was 3000 ft long :rolleyes: :D

MLS-12D
24th Jan 2003, 23:25
GroundBound, good for you for having the gumption to regain your wings after all that time off.

Have fun,

MLS-12D

Aussie Andy
25th Jan 2003, 04:51
Just returned from 5 weeks at home in Australia, flew just on 12 hours while there (sorry... couldn't resist! :))