PDA

View Full Version : Part Time FIC???

Go-Around
21st Jan 2003, 13:50
Is a part time FIC possible, or even available?
Would a part time job (20hrs per week) leave enough time and brain power to do the FIC?
Has anyone else done it this way, and how did you find it?
Many thanks,
GA

cesspit
21st Jan 2003, 16:56
Better to do the FIC full time, however I know of a chap who has just finished the FIC in about 6 - 7 weeks, and he was only available 2 to 3 days a week.

Try www.taysideaviation.co.uk.

GoneWest
21st Jan 2003, 21:32
G.A. - On Track Aviation make a point of doing part time FIC courses.

http://www.ontrackaviation.com/

juggernaut
21st Jan 2003, 21:35
It is possible to do the course part time, the problem is finding an FIC instructor willing to do it, most working people find it difficult to get 5 weeks off work to complete the necessary and ask if they can do the flying at weekends. FIC instructors are usually busy people and naturally prefer to run a course with 2 students on it and a 5 day week. Part timers interrupt the training of the full timers and tend to find it hard to get continuity. I suggest you look through the list of instructors in your area and ask them, any examiner will give you the contact numbers or the CAA website has info.

Hansard
21st Jan 2003, 21:49
Might be worth asking Babcock Flight Training at RAF Barkston Heath. I know absolutely nothing about them, but suggest them because their set-up is very different from the average FTO (reference juggernaut's comments).

They currently have the JEFTS contract which suggests a high standard of training and according to a recent advert, offer CAA-approved FIC Preparatory courses and FICs to civilians.

E-mail: [email protected]

Doghouse
21st Jan 2003, 22:04
I did my FIC part-time. It was a few years ago now, but I don't remember it being a problem.

As I recall, I took 2 weeks leave from work and completed the rest at weekends. For the ground school, I used to go after work and start at about 6.30. It did need an understanding FIC instructor but I paid the school over the odds and he was willing to make things work. Not sure about the buddying up problem, as the FIC instructors do like to have more than one on the course - I used to have my own plane so the instructor could work me on some 'down time'.

Instructing part-time is no problem - though I should warn you that I receive about 5 CV's a week from people asking to be part-time instructors so the competition is fierce.

GT
22nd Jan 2003, 09:37
Likewise, I did mine part-time back in 1995 at Leicester. Brilliant course and brilliant time. Chap was (is?) a Citation captain, so it fitted in ideally with his work.

GT.

essouira
23rd Jan 2003, 17:33
I think Lindsay Brown at RFC Bourn still takes part time students and he's very good. Not too far for you to travel, either.