PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Background Reading...

JetMouse
13th Dec 2001, 14:26
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but hey, it's about time it was updated...

Those of you who have/are/will be studying the ATPLs, do you have some good recommendations for pre-study reading?

WWW if this becomes good enough would you put it in the Wannabes section?

Thank you in advance for your participation...

GonvilleBromhead
13th Dec 2001, 15:09
Jetmouse,

The Thom met book I still find pretty handy even at ATPL level, if you know that pretty well, you'll be off to a good start for ATPL met at least.

redsnail
13th Dec 2001, 20:58
Have a look here (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=011679) for more choice.

Send Clowns
14th Dec 2001, 03:38
If you have any PPL books, and are not doing a PPL groundschool refresher (a good idea that SFT always encouraged) then go over the PPL thoroughly. Knowledge shouldn't be assumed, but it helps a lot.

Also look back over some GCSE / O-level Maths and physics - algebra (formula manipulation), trigonometry, Pythagoras, electrics, forces.

[ 13 December 2001: Message edited by: Send Clowns ]

Mister Geezer
14th Dec 2001, 04:33
One book that helped me a lot with Gas Turbines in the Aircraft General Knowledge paper was 'The Jet Engine' by Rolls Royce. I got my copy from Transair. Easy to understand with lots of pictures and packed with detail. My ATPL notes had diagrams which were identical to the Rolls Royce diagrams in the book!

Well worth a read!

MG