PDA

View Full Version : East Mids VFR routes

Min Sink
20th Jan 2003, 15:55
Hope you don't mind a PPL poking their head in here.

One for the East Midlands controllers. I'm planning a flight from Wycombe to Huddersfield. The direct route takes me through the East Midlands CTR. What clearances, if any, am I likely to get, e.g. follow the Shepshed / Long Eaton Lane.

Thanks
MS

springbok449
21st Jan 2003, 07:58
I am not an ATC guru but I use to fly PPL out of East Mids although it wasn't quite as busy as it is now, I would imagine that they will ask to report at one of the VRP's either Shepshed or Mallory park northbound maybe Markfield and then clear you to transit thru the zone, commercial traffic permitting.
You will find that they are pretyy accomadationg.
Good luck.

Evil J
21st Jan 2003, 19:51
I am an EMA ATCO (and PPL holder).

If you want to plan a certainty plan on going up the Shepshed/Long Eaton Lane VFR not above 2000 ft (altitude) either east or west side of the M1 as directed.

If you can be more flexible and have a transponder you could ask for a more direct routing, looking at the map Wyc to Huddersfield goes pretty close to the EMW NDB, that would be one option- but if we are using 27 and you arrive as the departures are warming up you make get taken east of the field or kept well out to the west to keep the climbout clear. Our portion of class D that extends to the ground is pretty small though so you can always route underneath the CTA stubs (but please still call us and squawk mode C so that we can keep an eye on you.)

I would suggest a phone call to us on the day when things like runway in use are more of a known quantity if you are still at all uncertain. If you do go for the direct option be prepared to be deviated from the route you requested if traffic requires it (and this is where GPS really comes into its own)-if you think that any deviation may compromise your ability to remain VFR (I'm assuming you can't accept IFR) please sing up loud and early as it may affect the situation.

All that said you may call when its quiet and cleared through unrestricted!

Min Sink
21st Jan 2003, 21:37
Thanks for your help.

MS