PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR to JAR IR

Fuji Abound
17th Jan 2003, 15:47

A new and recent change to CAA regs is that if you have an FAA IR you can do a "simple" conversion to a JAR version with about ten hours flying in the UK - a number of training organisations are now offering this.

On another thread this comment was made. Does anyone have further information? Is it still necessary to pass the JAR theory exams or are they excluded from the conversion?

rustle
17th Jan 2003, 15:54
FA,

Cut 'n' pasted from your 'other' thread :D

=============================

Please have a read of this:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid15.pdf

See page 8 in particular, where there is a really neat chart showing the requirements under various circumstances.

The other day someone on this forum said they couldn't find this on the CAA website.

It took about 10 nano-seconds for the search engine, provided by CAA, to find exactly the right document

Fuji Abound
17th Jan 2003, 16:12
Thanks Rustle - I will have to contain my excitement and keeping campaigning!

Still makes you wonder why the good folks at JAR / CAA headquarters reckon pilots can fly around Europe in an N reg with their FAA IR but think everything changes when a G is painted on the side - same pilot, same aircraft, same weather.

For goodness sake give the private pilot a chance and give him a JAR/IR if he has an ICAO IR and takes the JAR flight test. If his ICAO rating is not up to scratch (or more likely the pilot is not when he applies for the test) then fail him.

rustle
17th Jan 2003, 16:24
Fuji Abound

Thanks Rustle - I will have to contain my excitement and keeping campaigning!

For God's sake don't put your head over the parapet - some idiot will come along and tell you you're not doing your "job" properly :D

Have you actually made any progress with your campaign?

Stan Evil
18th Jan 2003, 15:22
The original AIC on this said it had to be a current ICAO IR. I believe that this may have now been extended to 'held an ICAO IR in the last 5 years'.