PDA

View Full Version : How to validate existing FAA PPL 61.75?

Charlie Zulu
17th Jan 2003, 11:13
This post is just a little question that is causing me a few problems as I can't find any information on the FAA website in regards to this.

Anyway you're all thinking, what is this little question?

Okay I have a CAA UK PPL / Night with an FAA PPL issued based upon the CAA PPL validity (under FAA Part 61, Section 75). This was issued in July 1999 and thus wasn't subject to any of the FAA background checks that are now required before they will issue an FAA PPL under this section.

Now I am sure that if I was going to the USA to do some general flying around then it will still be valid (correct me if I am wrong).

However I am going to the USA in April for an FAA CPL/IR course (Part 61). My question is: Will my FAA PPL issued on the validity of my CAA PPL be valid for the training of an IR and CPL. Ie, the requirements for issuing either is for a current FAA PPL. In the past an FAA PPL based upon the ICAO PPL would surfice, but will the examiner still accept my FAA PPL (restricted) as the PPL requirement before issuing me with an FAA CPL (or IR, depending on which course I undertake first)?

Or will I require an authorisation from the FAA via the new procedure? If so then does anyone know the process? All I can find is information on how to apply for a NEW FAA PPL based upon the validity of an ICAO licence but not an existing FAA PPL issued in the same way.

Failing this, is the only way ahead is to pass an FAA PPL Written, Flight and Oral tests?

If it helps my UK CAA PPL is valid, I have both an JAA Medical and an FAA Medical.

This is about the easiest I can explain my question!!! Sorry! ;-))

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

drauk
17th Jan 2003, 12:11
The documents you want, I believe, are here (http://www.awp.faa.gov/fsdo/foreign.htm) and here (http://www2.faa.gov/avr/AFS/FARS/far-61.txt)

As far as the instrument rating goes:

The holder of a U.S. pilot certificate issued under FAR 61.75 can qualify and be tested for additional ratings by complying with all of the U.S. certification requirements for that particular rating. These additional ratings will be added to the holders certificate with a notation in parenthesis, "US Test Passed".

And for the CPL:

You are required to do the training etc and:

Hold at least a private pilot certificate issued under this part

So you're all set.

Charlie Zulu
17th Jan 2003, 13:11
Hello Drauk,

Thank you for the information.

So I should be okay, but reading the following from the Orlando FSDO website:

Effective July 23, 2002, persons applying for a certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 61, Section 61.75, special purpose pilot authorizations under Section 61.77, using a pilot certificate issued under Section 61.75 to apply for a commercial pilot certificate under Section 61.123 (h), applying for an airline transport pilot certificate issued under Section 61.153 (d) (3), and applying for a certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 63, Sections 63.23 and 63.42, must have the validity and currency of the foreign license and medical certificate or endorsement verified by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) that issued those certificates, before making application for an FAA certificate or authorization.

As I will be using a pilot certificate issued under Section 61.75 to apply for a commercial pilot certificate under section 61.123 (h) then I will be required to have my FAA PPL (based on my UK CAA PPL) validated by the FAA/CAA.

I already hold an FAA PPL issued under 61.75 BEFORE the requirement to have the application validated beforehand came into force. It was issued in July 1999.

All I can find on the FAA web sites is how to apply for a new FAA PPL under 61.75 which requires a form to go to the FAA in Oklahoma and a form with £15 to go to the UK CAA. The FAA will then send a letter of authenticity to my home address and a new FAA PPL will be waiting for me at the FSDO of my choice.

So in summary, once I have the letter of validity from the FAA am I required to attend an FSDO to obtain a new FAA PPL? Or does the FAA send me a letter informing me my FAA PPL issued under section 61.75 back in July 1999 has now been validated and thus there will be no requirement for me to visit an FSDO for a new FAA PPL issued under 61.75?

Also as I already have an FAA PPL issued under 61.75 is there a different form to fill in? Once again all I can find is the "new FAA PPL under 61.75" information.

Has anyone gone through this process to gain a CPL (of course after the required training as well as validing the PPL!)?

I'm confused!!! ;-))

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu

GoneWest
17th Jan 2003, 13:50
Send an e-mail to [email protected]

He is the guru for this at Orlando FSDO.

Charlie Zulu
17th Jan 2003, 17:29
Many thanks GoneWest, I'll send an email this evening.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.