PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed please....

make it so No1
9th Dec 2001, 17:20
i know there have been many threads regarding training etc but as i am sure you are all aware it is a real dilemma and costly. i have some questions which i am hoping you professional guys can help me with....

i have a PPL with a lapsed IMC and a night qualification. i am thinking of going the rest of the way and was thinking of BAE in Jerez.

1. would i be better self improving with the qualifications i have?

2. would Jerez be an expensive way to go?

3. does anyone know what banks will finance etc?

4. with the current climate is it a good or bad time to be considering this dream?

5. is anyone sponsoring/worth being sponsored by?

6. is 28 too old?

sorry there are a lot of questions and i know that although you guys are the gods but on't have cystal balls.

any advise greatfully received.

:) :D :)

JT8
9th Dec 2001, 19:19
I'm in the same position with many of the same questions. I'm slowly making progress with my decisions.

Generally, I can spend 55k on an ab-initio course and spend a long time paying it back. Modular works out about 45k including an FI rating and allowing for extras such as accomodation and living expenses etc. I hope to graduate in September 2003. My personal opinion is that graduating earlier would not be of benefit (thats what my crystal ball reads!).

I'd be willing to spend the extra (I'm considering Jerez too) if I knew I'd be more employable. Either route you end up with the same licence, and my understanding is airlines preference towards integrated courses is slowly reducing.

I'm leaning strongly towards a full time modular course, which I aim to complete in 12-14 months, integrating some hour building into the distant learning ATPLs. Hence my self designed integrated coure!

As for finance I'm putting together a presentation for my bank - I should be able to get some sort of help as I qualify for a prefessional studies loan at HSBC. I hope to borrow 25-30k :eek: Apparently the best way to go is find a branch that has dealt with pilots in the past.

28 isn't too old but may mean you're not eligible for some sponsorships (especially by the time they start up again). So if it is your dream don't leave it too late.

Good luck with it!

JT8