PDA

View Full Version : Little Cubs - Info Needed

M14P
14th Jan 2003, 21:56
I'm thinking of buying a 65hp Cub for fun and frolicks (and perhaps a lasting relationship). I've flown the Super Cub a fair bit and I'm aware that the 65hp machine is no load lifter but how STOL is it? What are your experiences?

What should I look for/look out for?

Anyone know of any nice Cubs around the UK and for sale?

I look forwards to your responses either here or at [email protected]

Thanks

MLS-12D
14th Jan 2003, 22:26
May be of interest:

http://www.aviationconsumer.com/pub/1_1/usedaircraftguide/4999-1.html

http://store.yahoo.com/esscoac/noname102.html

http://www.danford.net/pipercub.htm

http://santapaulaairport.com/pipercub.htm

I have often heard that longeron corrosion can be a problem, and this is discussed, or at least mentioned, in this article: http://members.eaa.org/home/flight_reports/piper_cub.html

Kingy
15th Jan 2003, 02:30
M 14p

As a co owner of a 65HP L4 Cub let me answer some of your questions.

It's not a bad load lifter actually - gross is 1220lbs and most weigh 750lb ish empty so that's 470lbs useful load. Standard fuel is 12 us gallons (70lbs) which leaves 400lbs for crew and baggage.

Lets look at the STOL performance - they will land at least as short as a Super Cub with the right technique, but take off is a big variable. One up with a few knots headwind mine literally leaps off the ground in less than 100 yds - with 15 or 20kts we're talking a few plane lengths and she's off... At the other end of the scale, with two fat blokes on board and full fuel on a hot day
we’re talking 200-maybe 250 yds max, which is still pretty good.
Bear in mind the above relates to a strong running engine with a modern fine prop. With an old Sensenich cruise prop she was a much more marginal aeroplane taking ages when loaded to get off.

Unlike the Super Cub it's Soloed from the back and yes the instruments are still in the front - so you will soon get used to taking the odd peek past the passenger but flying largely be feel - this is a good thing...

I much prefer the handling of a J3/L4 to a PA18. The controls seem more direct and responsive, particularly the rudder which seems higher geared and more powerful. The trim is nicer too being higher geared also. The sticks are longer in the J3 and in the back at least falls nicer to the hand.

Carb heat is a long stretch forward down by your right foot - and you'll need plenty of it... A 65's ice up for a pastime.

Performance? Stall high 30's mph, cruise 75mph (ish) approach no higher than 60, 55 solo and 50 if you really want to get in short as they float a lot more than a PA 18 (no flaps, same wing and much less weight) climb 50-60mph 450 FPM at gross, more solo - climb angle is good because of the slow speeds. VNE 100 MPH.

What to look out for? These aircraft are at least 57 years old and most have been rebuilt a few times by now - its unusual to see a tatty one (except mine!). There is an AD on the Wing struts to check, but many have been fitted with new sealed struts, which means no AD so that's a good point. Corrosion at the rear of the fuselage where water collects can also be a problem. Most have wooden spars, but a few of the later ones have an ally spar, which could be a plus. The brakes are rubbish even when working well and some parts getting hard to find and expensive. An aircraft on a PFA Permit generally is more sought after than one on a C of A. Finally, the engine is a gem - no one seems to know the TBO, but I've got one in a BC12 with 2500hrs SMOH still going strong - they start and run beautifully. The best news is, if the worst happens to the engine running used ones only go for around £2.5K - Brilliant.

All in all a great, great aircraft.

You are very welcome to come and have go in mine anytime to see if you like it.

I may well know of one for sale - It’s a J3C and it’s beautiful - I'll check and get back to you.

Kingy

M14P
15th Jan 2003, 07:43
Thanks for replys so far. Very informative.

I've flown most of the variants although I was never looking that closely at the performance since it was always from large fields. I was really hoping to use the aircraft to pop in on friends with 300 metre-ish strips (all with good approaches/overshoots) so it looks like it's in the frame as a choice still.

FlyingForFun
15th Jan 2003, 08:00
First of all, where are you going to base your Cub? Close enough for me to get a ride? :D PA18 is my favourite aircraft that I've flown so far, but never flown any of the smaller Cubs, would love to have a go!

Anyway, the short-field performance... the PA18 doesn't have any performance graphs in the POH, so I'd suspect the other Cubs don't either. Kingy's post suggests that what you're planning on doing is quite achievable, but we all know that every aircraft is different, especially when they get to that kind of age. So I'd certainly want to come up with some kind of performance figures for the specific aircraft you buy, before going into any kind of short field. Never done anything like that myself, but read a bit about it a few times, and it sounds like getting the figures together would be good fun in itself! :)

FFF
----------------

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Jan 2003, 09:28
Kingy says it all, really. Absolutely agree with his post. I used to fly an L4 and it was much nicer and more fun (but much slower) than the Super Cub, which I think a tad over rated.

I wrote a peice on the L4 in 'Pilot' many years back - it's listed in their 'flight tests' list in most issues.

A friend of mine is looking for an L4, which I may share myself. We are prepared to pay good money for a really good one on a permit. Anyone who knows of one, please mail me.

SSD

cwinterb
15th Jan 2003, 10:14
M14P,

I am afraid you won't have time for that. You will be far too busy beasting DJM and me in the '52.

http://www.yak52.aero/

QDMQDMQDM
15th Jan 2003, 10:44
So who's bringing their L4/J3 to Eggesford in the spring to swap rides in a PA18-150?
;)

QDM

Kingy
15th Jan 2003, 13:06
M 14p

For what it's worth I generally consider my Cub safe into 300M strips with 2 on board. Judgement is required however in assessing factors like long grass, upslope, DA etc. - it's a 2 seater with only 65HP so ultimate grunt IS limited.
Don't think of it as a PA18 with only 65HP though - it's a lighter aircraft with a lower wing loading and it's eager to fly...

QDM

Sounds like a good idea! and you are welcome into Eastbach any time..

Kingy

Flyin'Dutch'
15th Jan 2003, 17:20
THere are too many people wanting to buy cubs!

Can I just point out that there are plenty of nice taildraggers around that can easily fullfil the tasks you have in mind for the cub!

So,

Let have a look at these links and see if I can find a nice one for myself.

FD

:D They are just sooooo nice.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Jan 2003, 17:59
Can I just point out that there are plenty of nice taildraggers around that can easily fullfil the tasks you have in mind for the cub!

If you have fallen in love with the L4, there is absolutely NO alternative that 'does it' - or comes near.

Maybe they should start making them again? Then again, no. To do it properly would cost a fortune today.

SSD

MLS-12D
15th Jan 2003, 19:09
Shaggy says: "Maybe they should start making them again? Then again, no. To do it properly would cost a fortune today."

Fortunately, you can still get the Wag Aero Sport Trainer, which does not cost a fortune and is very close to the original J3:

http://www.wagaero.com/sportrain.html

http://www.fliteguide.co.za/Imperial_Aviation/Full_aircraft_reports/FR_Wag_Aero_pg1.htm

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Jan 2003, 10:33
Shaggy says: "Maybe they should start making them again? Then again, no. To do it properly would cost a fortune today. Fortunately, you can still get the Wag Aero Sport Trainer, which does not cost a fortune and is very close to the original J3: "

Nah, It's flown from the front seat like a Super Cub, not the rear, like an L4. It's that rear seat view out of the open side that is so much a part of the L4 experience.

OK, it looks nice, but there's a bigger problem than the seating - you have to build it yourself! I'm a flyer, not a builder (can just about manage an Airfix kit). So it's not for me.

SSD

nonradio
16th Jan 2003, 11:07
Ah, yes - another believer!
Perhaps I have low expectations but I have not yet flown the J3 and been in the slightest bit bored with 65HP or 73MPH. If the HP is a problem it is perfectly possible to upgrade to a larger motor(up to 100 HP, but 85 apparently the best all-rounder) but you lose the charm and originality..
From 1946 on the J3s had metal spars, but if you want a fairly original L4 it will have wooden ones. ADs as Kingy says are not a problem - most relate to the 40s and 50s - but as he says check the struts (almost£2k for sealed units with larger forks -well worth it quite apart frm the lack of repeat checks) and the spar strut attach fitting inspection AD (hole cut in LE wrap to inspect forward facing fitting). Check for corrosion on the lower fuselage tubes (not only at the back!). Ensure the wing/fuselage/engine mount and tailplane are all square to each other! In flight, carefully check the trim operates without slipping. It's a very simple machine and easy to work on (except the trim system which can be trying) so that adds to the enjoyment! No question, therefore find a Permit aircraft:D
On the minus side cramped forward seat, inability to reach the instruments from back seat, 20lb baggage compartment and a crap cabin heater. Standard 12 USG tank limits the range especially when the wind is blowing so accept that you'll make plenty of fuel stops! Again, perfectly possible to find machines with wing tanks, or you can fit one yourself. I use Mogas at home and have had absolutely no trouble (£12 or £13 an hour!!) The Brakes are, well, J3 brakes and here I disagree with Kingy - I think that they are perfectly adequate (a lot of nose overs are on Cubs with disc conversions) and are fine for strip flying and absolutely essential if you want to operate in goodly x-winds or land with any downwind component so it's best to keep 'em serviced. Inner tubes and tyres are hellish expensive, too.
STOL is a given - absolutely no trouble with 300m at all up weight, nil wind and Summer temps. A lot less than that if conditions are right. One up and light you can really have some fun!! Ground run are v. short during TO and Landing but angle of climb is poor. Sorry. But, as I say, if it's windy you've got yourself a poor man's helicopter!
Anyway when it comes down to it, bimbling along at 70MPH, doors open at less than 1000' on a summer's day is heavenly.
Especially, when nonradio...:D

Crossedcontrols
16th Jan 2003, 19:59
I can understand your desire for a Cub. I did my taildragger difference training in a J3 in Florida sunshine with no door, absolute heaven. On return to UK ditched the club share in a PA28 and looked for a share in a J3. Unfortunately the ones I looked at seemed to have higher than the previously stated empty weight and a lower MAUW. Being a big bloke (FB shirt size) it was either full fuel or a passenger not both. Dreams shattered I found a Supercub PA18-95 on a permit. Wonderful, loads of load carrying capability and cheap to run (C-90 running mogas) I fly from a 400m strip which we only seem to use less than half . Any of the cubs are an absolute delight to fly. The fact it takes twice as long to get anywhere is an advantage IMHO.
Sounds like we should have a PPRUNE Cub fly in
Good luck

CC

M14P
16th Jan 2003, 20:11
Thanks all for some really good responses.

I'm also considering offering the aircraft out for tailwheel checkouts and the like on an 'I'll bring the aircraft to you' basis in the London area (I'm an instructor, too) but this will take a little while to set up so I'll get the aircraft first.

I still haven't got any good leads on an aircraft yet and it'll need to live somewhere...

Anybody know a friendly farm strip with hangar in the Berks/Hants/Surrey area?

Thanks again all

foxmoth
16th Jan 2003, 20:24
Kingy says about peering round the pax. but a few people I know fly it solo from the rear and 2 up from the front to get round that problem, either way not really difficult.:) ;)

QDMQDMQDM
16th Jan 2003, 22:54
Sounds like we should have a PPRUNE Cub fly in

You know, that could be fun.

FlyingForFun
17th Jan 2003, 08:42
It does sound like fun, doesn't it! :D

Except that I'm not current on the Super Cub, having not flown one for around 9 months. That can be easilly fixed tho ;) The cost of renting the Super Cub, compared to the normal cost of flying the Europa, will be a bit harder to swallow though...

FFF
-------------

FNG
17th Jan 2003, 09:03
FFF, assuming

(1) that we and some other small Cub enthusiasts in the London area can't find a suitable J3/L4 to put a group around (judging by the postings above, there would be enough of us to do this if the right aircraft could be found)

and

(2) that I can be bothered to shell out the outrageous wonga demanded by WLAC to check out on the Supercub

....we could split the cost and share the flying to and from the notional Cub fly-in

I have almost succumbed to (2) recently, as my own group aircraft, and my friend's L4 in which I did my tailwheel conversion, are both up on blocks at the moment, so, on the rare occasions when the wind stops howling, I have nothing to fly in.

EI_Sparks
17th Jan 2003, 09:09
FFF - it might be a wee bit more expensive to hire the SC, but can an europa do this? (http://www.supercub.org/upload/Mov5.mpg)

:D

*sigh*
Now if the wx would just clear up in Kerry tomorrow, I could actually go and do some flying, instead of just dreaming about it!

FlyingForFun
17th Jan 2003, 09:36
FNG, that sounds like a fantastic idea! Guys, if we do go ahead with a Cub fly-in, you'll need to make sure you leave enough time for both FNG and myself to get checked out first...

EI, I love it! :D No, I can't do that in the Europa. It has a lovely powerful all-moving tailplane that would certainly be capable of lifting the tail off the ground given enough wind, but not without the prop making contact with the runway. Oh well :(

FFF
-------------

Kingy
17th Jan 2003, 16:33
Guys,
Just back from a lovely flight in the L4. Flew about like an 'idiot' for 40 minutes, climbed to 4500ft just for the hell of it and had stunning views of the Wye and the Severn. Did some stalls, tight turns and chandelles. Flew for 10 minutes hands and feet off marveling how it's possible to to change the trimmed speed +- 5mph just by leaning forward or back in the seat. Got back to the field and did a couple of greasers onto our new 'runway' 26 - it's 120m and has a 25% upslope .... absolute magic - I feel alive again!

Count me in for the fly in - might even have a seat going if there is anyone in my neck of the woods wants a ride.

Kingy

Genghis the Engineer
17th Jan 2003, 17:29
Whilst not denying that the Cub in all it's forms is a splended flying machine, I also have a soft spot for a UK/US developed cub copy called an Easy Raider, still in production and to be found online at http://www.realityaircraft.com/

G

Crossedcontrols
17th Jan 2003, 19:03
So that's settled then.
Where and when?
I suppose later on in the year would suit those having to get tail draggerd and or aircraft.

Well I'm game, might have a spare seat, depending on dates.
CC

There's many a slip twixt Cub and strip

QDMQDMQDM
17th Jan 2003, 21:10
Where and when?

Somewhere grass obviously and not surrounded by huge amounts of controlled airspace and which is reasonably central.

Perhaps if everyone puts in their location we could figure out a reasonable place to go. I'm at Eggesford.

QDM

Crossedcontrols
17th Jan 2003, 21:55
I'm at Bennington, doesn't have the luxury of an ICAO code.
Stuck between Luton and Stanstead airspace.

CC

Kingy
18th Jan 2003, 01:05
Im way out West - 2 miles from the Welsh border at Eastbach, so anywhere west or south west of London would be good for me.

Kingy

nonradio
18th Jan 2003, 11:04
I'm just north of Luton.

cirrus01
18th Jan 2003, 13:21
Would the invites be extended to a Vagabond ?

Kingy
18th Jan 2003, 16:05
How about Turweston? - It's got grass..

Grob Driver
18th Jan 2003, 20:21
Ok, a question for all you Cub drivers out there (I was going to start a new thread for this but I’ve decided to tag it on here instead… hope you don’t mind!)…. So, excuse my ignorance on this but can someone please give me a quick comparison between the Cub and an Auster? Are they similar in their flying qualities? Is one regarded higher than the other in the flying community? I know you lot are all cub pilots, but I’d appreciate your opinions either way! They both look like fantastic little aircraft to me…. All I need to do is get a tail wheel conversion! – Oh, and find a Cub or Auster to fly!

Thanks
Grob Driver
:D :D :D

QDMQDMQDM
19th Jan 2003, 00:07
Oooh, now you're talking. I fly a Super Cub out of Eggesford where there are more Austers based than anywhere else in the UK. I'd better be careful!

The Super Cub uses a Lycoming or a Continental, so less maintenance hungry and more reliable than a Gipsy Major, or especially a Cirrus. Also uses a fair bit less fuel / oil and gives less vibration / noise. Parts are cheaper and more available too.

Landing characteristics of the cub family are much more benign than Austers. Many people like the challenge Austers present, but they do present more of a challenge.

Cubs are tandem, Austers are side by side and will take three or even four people.

You can fly a cub with the door open.

Cubs are American, Austers are British.

Nothing in the world will beat a Super Cub for short field performance.

Cubs are more expensive than Austers. Some say their price is absurdly high, but the market dictates what the market dictates....

The one exception to most of the above characteristics is the Auster Mark IX, which is unlike any other Auster, but there are very few of them about, so I doubt it will be an issue for you.

Anyway, whichever you choose tailwheel is tailwheel -- much more fun than nosewheel. You'll never want to go back. Do it!

QDM

Kingy
19th Jan 2003, 02:40
QDM

Just adding to your Auster facts...

Not all have British in-line engines, many have Lycomings - mostly the 0290.

Yes, they are British built but they are closely based on an American Taylorcraft design. In fact, the first aircraft were actually called Talorcraft plus D's. The name 'Auster' was coined by the British military I believe, and stuck.

The Taylor in Taylorcraft is the very same C.G Taylor that designed the original Taylor Cub in 1930. The story goes that whilst Tayor was off ill for a while in 1935, Bill Piper (Taylor's business partner and the marketing guy) had a 24 year old designer called Jamouneau restlyle the boxy E 2 Cub into the curvy J 2. Taylor was furious and the resulting showdown ended with Piper buying out Taylors's shares - this company became Piper as we know it today. Taylor set up Taylorcraft and set out to design an aircraft to beat the Cub - the model 'B'... (forerunner of the Auster)

Being the original 'bloke with too many planes' I also own a 1/3rd share in a 1941 Taylorcraft BC12 - this is like a light Auster with no flaps and an A 65 engine. It goes like the clappers (90+mph cruise) but has a less gentle stall than the Cub and the visibility out is god awful. I hardly ever fly it as I prefer the L4....

Kingy

LowNSlow
19th Jan 2003, 10:32
Grob My last aeroplane was an L4 65hp Cub and my current mount is an Auster Autocrat with a 100hp Cirrus II so I'll try to expand the differences already mentioned by QDMx3 and Kingy.

THe original Auster was indeed a licence built Taylorcraft. However the ARB (forerunner of the CAA) reckoned it was too flimsy. The makers basically kept the same design but went up a size in all the tubing wall thicknesses etc. This gives the Auster a much more solid feel than the Cub. They are classically British in their over-engineering. Indeed they feel like they really were engineered to meet a requirement whereas the Cub feels like (and indeed was) built down to a price. Over the years there were redesigns around the basic airframe but with the exception of the AOP9 and the one-off AOP 11 they were pretty much the same airframes but with a variety of engines.

The Auster can be more of a handfull on the ground in a cross wind as most have free castoring tailwheels (what prat thought that one up) whereas Cubs have tailwheel steering. However, a lot of Austers (including mine) have had tailwheel steering retrofitted.

Landing the Auster is slightly more challenging than the Cub because, IMHO, the undercarriage is stiffer and the tyres are harder. This gives a harsher feel to the landing but it's not that much harder than a Cub. Most of the groundloops etc were caused by the aforementioned tailwheel.

In the cruise the Auster bops along at 95+ mph against the Cub's 70-75. That 20 mph makes a big difference if there's any kind of headwind. I disagree that the Cirrus is rougher than the Conti A-65, well, mine's as smooth as the A-65 in the Cub was and I've checked the balance on the props on both Cub and Auster and they were both OK. The engine is more maintenance intensive than the A-65 as you have to adjust the valve clearances every 25 hours. The Auster is definitely noisier as it has no silencer/muffler. Mine will soon though cos I was going deef!

To sum up after all that, most people think the Cub is more cute than the Auster and that's a factor in the price equation. The other factor is that spares for the Cub are easily available, including the engine, at a reasonable price. Auster airframe parts are available, also at a fairly reasonable price but engine spares, especially for the Cirrus, can be problematical. They can however be re-engined with the Lycoming 0-320 or 360 if required. Another factor is that they were the ubiquitous trainers of the 50's & 60's and were common as muck then. Finally, they suffered from the reputations of the later overweight Beagle models.

Personally I prefer the Auster as it is more robust and, although not as "chuckable" as the Cub due to higher control forces and not very effective ailerons, it's still loads of fun to whizz about in. My aircraft, if fitted with the correct seats, can be looped, rolled etc legally. It is stressed to +4.5/-2.5 g compared to the Cub's +3/-1.5 (I think). A further bonus is that all Austers have a perspex roof (some are fitted with dinky little blinds). The L4 has a clear panel roof but I find the J3's claustrophobic (I am 6' and 15 stone!) with their solid roof and small rear side windows. Although you can open the side of the Cub up in flight, you can slide the side windows of the Auster back as in the Mark 1 Minis and stick your elbow out for posing purposes :D

And finally (I can hear the sighs of relief), Auster is what the Romans called a light southerly wind. It was felt during WW2 that this fitted well with the likes of Hurricane, Typhoon, Tempest etc.

Oscar Duece
19th Jan 2003, 14:01
Mighty Auster v Dinky Cub

Come on guys it has to be the classic British Auster. (Although with a 0320 up front). Much more room, quality engineering and British. If you want STOL then the Mk6 is your mount.

IMHO cubs are under engineered, small and in most cases over priced. But as you say demand is demand. Although I personally think it might have something to do with much more cubs being on a pfa scheme, hence the long term cost saving. I only know of a few Austers on a permit. (a scheme now closed to both types).

As for those Lycoming fits. I always though the 0320 was more popular. I have only ever heard of one with a 0290 (pricy spares). Although I have seen ones with a 0235, 0360 and even a 0200.

Anyway thats my rant for the interests of British engineering.

Also: by the way, out of interest. Does anyone know who holds the type certificate / authority for the Auster/ Beagle now. ??

javelin
19th Jan 2003, 21:17
To stray back onto the topic if I may.

You asked about info on Cub's and which is the best - easy, the one which will climb best, cruise best, strip fly best, be more comfortable is............... The Aeronca Champ :D :D

FNG
20th Jan 2003, 06:40
I think that De Haviland Aviation (or is it DH Engineering?) at Duxford are now involved with the Pups and Bulldogs, but am not sure if if they also deal with with the Austers. As for Cub vs Auster, although I have sampled the delights of L4 flying, I have yet to try an Auster, although I've been fond of them since I was little. I think that this is because the first Biggles story which I read as a child involved one of his post-war Air Police exploits, in which Austers featured regularly. I still get childishly excited when I land somewhere and see an Auster parked up. Low n Slow, we really must try to get together this year so that I can admire your machine.

Crossedcontrols
23rd Jan 2003, 16:17
If this fly in is an Auster/Cub one, then I suppose it should be open to Taylorcraft as well.

I did notice all of the comparisons between Austers and Cubs used the J3 or the like. There is also the SuperCub, even more expensive, but a bit quicker, and in the case of QDM3's 150HP SC a very STOL aircraft with reasonable cruise speed. All soloed from the front unlike the J3.

Any advance on Turweston ?

CC (90HP Supercub with no flaps)

Kingy
23rd Jan 2003, 19:58
C C

Yes, I’ve been thinking about this - How about trying to find a well located farm strip somewhere central. This way we can give a few rides 'round without spending a fortune on landing fees :)

Any ideas anyone?

If we can manage organize the first successfully how about Lundy for the next one??

Kingy

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jan 2003, 21:11
How about Shotteswell?

Lundy is fun too. There will be a Devon Strut fly-in there on July 6th, although I'll be out of the country then. We had 60+ aircraft in there on one day last July.

QDM

LowNSlow
24th Jan 2003, 04:10
FNG are you going to the Pprune Fly-in on 5th April?

crossed controls is there still space available in the hanger at Bennington?

nonradio
24th Jan 2003, 07:53
Shotteswell is a good choice and Enstone is 10 min away for fuel.

FNG
24th Jan 2003, 07:59
LowNSlow, I'm not sure about 5th April at the moment, but will try to make it.

Re hangarage, I think that I saw an advert on the flyer "groups" forum for a hangar on a farm strip somewhere close(ish) to London.

Crossedcontrols
24th Jan 2003, 21:17
LowNSlow, I've sent you a PM.
CC

Crossedcontrols
4th Feb 2003, 09:50
Thought I'd bring the original thread back up.

So where were we.

Is it a CUB, Auster or Tail Dragger fly in ?

Any of the previous airfields suit some better than others.

Any other places ?

When ?

CC

Did the original poster get his Cub?

Kingy
4th Feb 2003, 21:16
CC

OK, it's a Cub and Auster fly in.

Anywhere central, grass with small landing fees and not restricted movements would be good.

How about early March?

C'mon guys lets DO this..!

Kingy

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Feb 2003, 21:22
Can someone propose a date..... and a venue.........

That way we start working towards something.

Turweston has tarmac and grass (although the latter is too bogged at the moment to use) and no landing fee if you take more than 40 ltrs of fuel.

It has a Cafe which is not always manned.

Know that Shotteswell has nowt in the shape of a Cafe.

Sywell has lots of grass runways and an excellent resto but also a landingfee.

Happy to go anywhere as long as it is not the weekend of 29/30 March.

Any suggestions so that we can bang a note onto the hangar fly in/out page.

FD

Crossedcontrols
4th Feb 2003, 22:26
I'm game.
March might be too soon for the ones looking to buy Cubs, get checked out on TD etc.

CC

Kingy
4th Feb 2003, 23:18
CC

Good point!- how about doing one in March to get us started and perhaps, a bigger one in the summer?.

Maybe it might be helpful for those looking to buy to come along and see what we have all been raving about!

Im worried that if we don't get somthing organized soon the whole idea will be forgotton.

What do you think?

Kingy

M14P
5th Feb 2003, 11:06
Since you asked - No, I haven't found a Cub yet. I'm still looking. Ask around and mail me if you find one please!

Thanks all

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Feb 2003, 12:52
OK; here goes

I can do 1,2 8,9 15,16 and 23 March.

FD

Kingy
5th Feb 2003, 15:47
M14p

Re Cub, I sent you a PM did you follow it up ?

FD,

Yep, I can do any of those dates.

Venue: Its Turweston, Shotteswell or maybe Enstone. I've never been to Shotteswell and only to Enstone and Turweston a few times. Perhaps someone with more local knowledge should make the decision on this... and what about Hinton or Sywell?

Kingy

QDMQDMQDM
5th Feb 2003, 16:25
I can do 16 and 22nd/23rd March.

QDM

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Feb 2003, 16:42
Shallwe do 16/3/03;

I would vote for either Sywell or Turdy as both have a cafe.

Happy with either.

Sywell has grass galore and the nicer eatery but there was PPRuNe bash last year. Can get waterlogged if there is mucho rain in the weeks before the event.

Turdy has the tarmac but only one direction 09/27; Turdy closes for departures at 1600 on Sundays.

FD

nonradio
5th Feb 2003, 16:44
I can do all the above too. I think that we mustn't lose sight of the need to fly (at least part of the time) out of a strip like Shotteswell - otherwise we won't be able to fly as freely or as much and thus sample the delights of all these exotic machines. After that food and fuel at Wellesbourne, Turweston, Oxford or wherever.
N

Oscar Duece
5th Feb 2003, 16:46
Count me in the 'meet'.

Altohugh sadly my newly acquired Auster is far from airworthy, for a long while yet. But happy to drive up or cadge a lift from someone in the Hampshire area ?

:rolleyes:

BlueRobin
6th Feb 2003, 14:44
...has got me thinking about extending my tail wheel hours. At Sywell (heads up M14P) you can fly a PA18-95 for £58ph and £60pcm with no capital outlay from NSoF. Not bad?

Anyone ever flown ARVO?

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Feb 2003, 17:24
Anyone ever flown ARVO?

Why ask here when I could have given you the answer close at home!

:D

I have flown ARVO.

Neat little Cub. I think the wings have been recovered since I flew it (no causal relation I hasten to add!)

Those prices are a lot lower than what I paid 2,5 years ago.

Enlighten us. (sorry must have had snot in the eyes just noticed the 60 pcm) How long do you have to sub for that or can you just do a month and that is it. Does the PCM payment also allow cheaper usage of other machines. So do enlighten us!

Are you coming in ARVO to Turdy on the 16/3 then?

FD

Wireless
6th Feb 2003, 20:29
Yes I have flown ARVO. That was my first time in a cub.

I later flew a 180hp "Monster Cub". This was a tug aircraft. I developed a love of the Cub aircraft after seeing how well it performed as a working aircraft.

Bill

BlueRobin
7th Feb 2003, 09:02
Click the button on the left for the regular flyer scheme:

http://www.nsof.co.uk

Ask about any minimum contract period. I forgot to! You fly the other aircraft such as the HR200 Robin (not Blue...), Cesspot, Warrior, Pitts and Tiger. Membership is £90 pa.

Also have been considering Rex Ford's RB Group at Sywell, but that's recently changed imo to the detriment of it's affordability.

Another thing that may be coming my way is a... dum dum dum...Kitfox.

Good to do the ground work on opportunities during the Winter methinks :cool:

Lowtimer
7th Feb 2003, 19:41
Anyone ever flown ARVO?
Yes, she's a little poppet. My current favourite machine for an hour's circuits and bumps, even more than the Tiger (though only because I'm rather tall, stickup a long way, and thereby find the Tiger a bit draughty and cold.)

No flaps, very simple, very light, sideslips beautifully, touchdown speeds so low that even that funny up-and-down bit at the threshold end of 25 at Sywell becomes a little hill rather than a big bump - just fly gently up this side, then down the other, all as you round out... Any ex air cadet of a certain age would, I think, find the handling and overall experience strangely similar to the old Slings T-31 glider, except with a vastly more sensitive rudder power due to the slipstream.

Doesn't have the take-off acceleration of the more common 150 hp versions, of course, and like all low-powered machines there's quite a difference in take off run when two-up, but it all happens at such low speeds that you don't use up a lot of room even if it seems to take quite a long time.

Some time fairly soon she will have a fuselage re-cover and come out yellow and silver, though I think the current blue is rather nice as well.