PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver

Memetic
14th Jan 2003, 15:51
Before the end of March we'll be spending about a week in Vancouver. Any recommendations on good hotels and must see / do's would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Splork2000
15th Jan 2003, 22:03
Having lived here most of my natural-born life, (and all of my un-natural one), here are a few recommends in no particular order:

Take a city tour! There are a number of reputable operators offering a variety of city tours. Good way to quickly get aquainted with and learn a lot about the city.
Stanley Park/Vancouver Aquarium - Lots to see at the aquarium and the park is in such a spectacular setting.
Dinner on top of Grouse Mountain. - If the weather is good the view while dining is incredible. Cable car ride to the top and good restaurant to boot.
Strolling English Bay or Kitsilano - Great place for a nice walk.
Museum of Anthropology @ UBC - If you have some time and N.American Native stuff interests you it is one of the premier museums on this topic in the world.
Drive to Whistler - worth it just for the drive. Even better if you
Ski/Snowboard
Dont miss Granville Island
Take a trip to Victoria aboard BC Ferries. Can be done by car, bus or walk on.
George Riefel Waterfowl Refuge - If Birdwatching is your thing. Very accesible from the city.

As for the city itself - Gastown/Chinatown are interesting areas. Kitsilano is kinda neat too. Visit the Vancouver Museum and the Vancouver Maritime Museum. Capilano Suspension Bridge is good.
If you have some time, excellent small hikes can be done in many areas of Greater Vancouver.
Convert your license and take a small plane from Boundary Bay (CZBB)out to Chilliwack (CYCW), for some pie and coffee. Easy flight with lots of scenery. Pie is good too.

Eat - lots of restaurants. Loads of cheap Sushi. Lots of Seafood.

As for Hotels, havn't really stayed at a lot and some other will be able to offer better insight. The Sylvia is supposed to be quaint and is in a great location. Others can fill in better than I.

There is plenty more that I am forgetting, but this is a kick start anyway.

Rgds,
Splork

sony
16th Jan 2003, 18:28
Great city, one of the best, if not the best.

Memetic
16th Jan 2003, 23:43
Splork2000

Thanks for the pointers, i'm googling my way through them now, skiing or snow boarding are on the list - we just need to find a few days tuition.

As for renting a plane and heading off for coffee I had a couple of lessons but that's where it stopped - for some reason they thought I should keep paying and my mortgage co would not be happy had I carried on.

Dinner on top of Grouse Mountain is firmly on the list - esp. if we get over for Valentines day. I have just seen the website for the mountain (That sounds odd for some reason!) and the views look spectacular.

Thanks once more

Memetic

Rollingthunder
18th Jan 2003, 15:16
Yes. do Stanley Park. Follow the limited signs to Beaver Lake. (Early morning is best) Have a supply of raw, hulled, sunflower seeds. Call the Chickadees and all the other birds. Watch, listen, observe. This is a little known secret.

Visit the UBE Anthropology Museum, stroll the seawalk, visit Granville Island Market. Eat dinner at A Kettle of Fish on Pacific, or at the Cannery.

Splork2000
20th Jan 2003, 16:12
DOH!
How could I have overlooked the seawall? If you are here in Feb-Mar, you could also go snowshoeing on Mt. Seymour.

And I second the Cannery - One of my fav's in the city, as well as The Salmon House On The Hill.....Damn, it's 09:30 and this is making me hungry!

fatboy slim
24th Jan 2003, 16:11
I went round the brewery on Granville Island with beer tasting afterwards. A genius impromptu session ensued.

Otherwise hire a bike/roller blades or put your trainers on and walk to do the 10km seawall trail around the aforementioned Stanley Park. Totem Poles, statues... a brilliant ride / walk.

Have a great trip.

Memetic
31st Jan 2003, 12:50
Thanks for all the tips. I'm flying out Sunday.

747pilot
16th Feb 2003, 18:32
This is probably to late for you but maybe it'll help some others looking for accomadation etc. in YVR and actually all over.

This group of pilots setup a Vacation Rental/Exchange Forum (http://www.ipgglobal.net/Air_Rentals.php) which is all free anyway one of the listing on it is a friend of mine whose an AC pilot.

Once you enter the Forum in the Canada section you'll see a post for downtown Vancouver with lots of info on his 2 bdrm apartment. I've stayed there many times and it's a great place and location and he usually gives some great deals.

This forum also has some pretty good aircrew tips on where to eat etc.

Hope this helps and have a great time in a wonderful city. :D