PDA

View Full Version : issue of an FAA PPL based on a CAA

kanga
14th Jan 2003, 12:11
hi folks,
it's that time again when I have to fly my 12 hours and get my licence signed (CAA PPL). I'd like to do it in the states but having read the posts regarding the issue of an FAA temporary PPL, i'm more confused than ever.

Is there anyone out there that has actually successfully applied for the FAA PPL, and if so where and what forms were required?

grá,
Seán.

knobbygb
14th Jan 2003, 13:27
Yes, I just did it. I haven't actually got the license in my hands yet, but it's waiting for me at the FSDO in Fort Lauderdale, I'm assured.

Whole process took 10 days. Very efficient.

There are two forms you need to fill in:

Send this one to the FAA (http://registry.faa.gov/docs/verify61-75.pdf)

The instructions on the FAA website are here (http://www1.faa.gov/fsdo/phl/foreignpilot.htm) including all the links you'll need.

Send this form to the CAA with £15 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1160.pdf)

When they notify you that the checks are complete, you can collect your temporary license from the FSDO you nominated. You apply for the permanent one at the FSDO. As I say, I haven't done this yet, so I'll let you know how it goes in mid February.

Don't forget that to 'activate' your new license, you'll need to do a full Biennial Flight Review with an FAA instructor. As far as I know, this still doesn't count as training, so no visa is requirted (as long as you don't do any other training, obviously).

Good luck.

drauk
14th Jan 2003, 16:09
Are you sure you need to activate your license with a BFR?

You may find that many FBO's from which you might want to rent a plane will insist upon it but certainly when I got my FAA license issued on the basis of my JAR it was not an FAA requirement. I got mine before the changes of last July, but nothing I've seen suggests that that bit has changed, just the method of applying for it.

Incidentally, my permanent FAA license took 5 months to arrive despite the fact that the temporary one expired after 3.

FlyingForFun
14th Jan 2003, 17:10
Knobby is right - all FAA licenses need a BFR to be valid. It doesn't say so anywhere on the license, that's because it says so in the FARs - I have no idea where, but I'm sure someone can provide the reference.

FFF
-------------

knobbygb
14th Jan 2003, 17:29
I wasn't sure, to be honest - just remembered reading it somewhere (on here) ages ago. I was going to check with the people I'm renting from, anyway.

The temporary certificates they're issuing at the moment last for 6 months, so that should be time for the full license to arrive.

Kanga, one point I forgot to make clear: you have to nominate a FSDO at the time of application (there's a list on the FAA website). This could be a bit inconvenient if you're not yet sure where to go flying. They seem to be situated at most major airports - if Florida's your destination, they are at Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa.

drauk
14th Jan 2003, 21:41
I've checked and Knobby is indeed correct. The FARs aren't explicit in the section (61.75) on issuing the license on the basis of a foreign one, but section 61.56 says that "no person may act as pilit in command of anircraft unless" in the last 24 months they've completed a flight review. The FAA's FAQ on Part 61 of the FAR spells it out in an answer.

Chandler Air Service (seems like a popular place for UK PPLs) told me explicitly that I didn't need a BFR for the sake of the FAA, but it was a club requirement so had to have one anyway. Turns out they were wrong, but no harm done.

andrewc
14th Jan 2003, 22:59
Neither I nor my local friendly, US CFI believe that an
FAA certificate based on an existing JAR PPL requires
a US BFR to be valid. All that is required is that the
underlying JAR license is itself valid.

-- Andrew

drauk
15th Jan 2003, 17:08
Andrew, you might not believe it, but that doesn't make it any less of a fact.

See question 379 of http://av-info.faa.gov/data/640otherfaq/pt61-18.pdf, page 96 (of a cool 354).

The basic rationale seems to be that a PIC excersing the rights of a US pilot certificate must have a BFR and that what is issued on the basis of the JAR PPL is a US pilot certificate.

englishal
16th Jan 2003, 08:41
Just make sure that when you do your club checkout in the US, that the CFI writes in your logbook "BFR" thats all there is to it. A BFR consisits of some ground school as well, but I'm sure you and your instructor will sit down and discuss stuff which will cover the requirements.

EA