PDA

View Full Version : Nav Revision Tips

avrodamo
8th Dec 2001, 01:59
Finished the Bristol Nav Course Package about 3 weeks ago, and im now ploughing through it all again making bullet points, progress tests again etc etc. I have until March to get it all together. Is there any revision tips that you could recommend in particular to Flight Planning that will help it all stay in the brain dept for the big day? :)

JB007
8th Dec 2001, 14:29
Flight Planning is very easy, or at least I found it so - it's more a time management exam!!. Most of the answers are in your Jepps manual and the calculations are very easy. ie. basic time/distance/speed calcs and PNRs etc etc

Don't bother with Compass Co-efficiants A,B & C in Nav Gen - apparently they've never appeared in any JAA Nav exam yet & only 1 Radial Error Rate calculation has ever appeared. But do know basic magnetism theory very well. All the plotting questions are based on Southern Ireland so learn your map in your Jepps manual as you can take this into the exam now..

MET was the one I didn't like...key areas were High/low level winds, Adiabatics and stability, Thunderstorms & TRS, with climatology know your tradewinds etc etc..

See if you can get hold of Oxfords Air Law feedback cos it's all you really need..that goes for there Ops Proc. feedback too..

Radio Nav isn't really a problem. Don't bother learning Decca and these are the only questions the CAA have on Loran :

Q/ LORAN C is available:
A/ In designated ares

Q/ Frequencies used by LORAN C is:
A/ 90 - 110KHz

Q/ The Principle of operation of LORAN C:
A/ Differential range by pulse technique.

Best of luck.!!!

Matthewjharvey
8th Dec 2001, 14:30
The flight planning exam is one of the most straightforward simply because it requires very little memorisation of any facts. You will find about 15 questions will just be from the graphs in the CAP. In the exam I would recommend going through the paper and doing all of these first.
About half of the questions come from the various charts in the jeppesen manual. There shouldn't be much problem here, the plotting is fairly simple, and many questions just ask what the symbols mean. These can be obtained simply by looking on the appropriate legend in the jep manual. As with the CAP questions, do the chart questions all together to save time folding/unfolding charts.
Many of the remaining questions will also be answerable straight from the manual. About 10 questions in my exam were about the flight planning form - automatic easy marks. Probably the only formula you need to remember/derive is the point of equal time/safe return. This should stick after you have done a few questions using it.

Hope this helps to some degree, I think the most limiting thing with the Nav and FP exam is the time limit. Try and work as briskly as possible, do not struggle with a question that is only worth 1 mark for a few minutes. If you have time at the end you can come back to it. Make sure you have answered those that are worth 3/4 marks.

JB007
8th Dec 2001, 14:31
Oh by the way...the question bank changes approx Easter Time so all those with good feedback questions get the exams done ASAP !!!

SuperTed
8th Dec 2001, 15:44
JB007,

In what respect will the question bank change at Easter. Will there be harder and more questions in the bank? I thought they added more questions to the bank last Sept?

Does this also mean that our revision books/manuals from the training organisations will not be so keyed up to the new questions at Easter?

Avrodamo,

How long has it taken you to complete the first package? You seem to have allowed about another 4 months to revise through all the material. Surely is all this needed? One should be able to complete a whole module and take the exams in 4 months alone, shouldn't they? Is this the norm?

ST.

avrodamo
9th Dec 2001, 00:10
Problem is the family. I have to do my normal job, which is 12 hour shifts nights and days, overtime for 2 days on my rest days to pay for the flying, a young son, and one due (unexpectedly and not planned) in Feb. Couldn't risk booking exams and then missing them, or birth !!! That is why i appear to have alot of time to revise when infact i havn't really
Had my confirmation through today. Gatwick on Apr 8,9, 10 and 11

JB007
9th Dec 2001, 00:11
SuperTed,

Nah, the learning objectives are not changing and September wasn't a question bank change, apparently it was supposed to be an update, removing questions that were posing a few problems!!!

The new question bank will not be any harder or easier, just new questions....but when you get stuck into the books you'll realise that there is only so much they can ask on certain subjects and in the time you have in the exam..