PDA

View Full Version : Flexwing microlight questions

springers
11th Jan 2003, 21:49
I have finally freed up some time this year to learn to fly and have decided that the low costs of owning and running microlights are highly attracive.

I have read Chris Finnigan's book and am drawn to flexwings.

I live in South Bucks, near Beaconsfield. I would appreciate your recommendations for instructors/schools within one hour's drive.

Having used the BMAA site links extensively, many schools seem to encourage students to buy their own aircraft after about 8 hours instruction.

I would appreciate some recommendations on best first flexwings - Chris Finnigan's book suggests Pegasus XL (i.e. 2nc generation flexwings) however some of the schools I have spoken to have been negative - too slow, not good in a headwind, (no doubt because they want to sell shares in their Quantum).

When qualified, ideally I would keep the microlight in the garage at home and trailer it to the airfield.

I would really appreciate your views.

S

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jan 2003, 23:26
I've not done much flying in that area, but I'd suggest as a first stab try Jay Madhvani at Plaistows. He's always impressed me as a sensible bloke who runs a good school, and he's probably 45 minutes from you (in the crook of the M1 and M25).

I don't entirely agree with Chris, but happen to know that he flew an XL for some years and had much fun out of it - so that's probably where he's coming from as much as anything. It is slower than some more modern types - but is much better for short field work, you pays your money... I'd suggest looking at the following, any of which should suit you as a first cheap aircraft:-

Raven-X / Hybred 44XLR (basically the same aeroplane)
Pegasus Q (also known as XL-Q)
Mainair Gemini Flash (also known as a flash 1). NOT a flash 2.

Or on a REAL budget, a Gemini Sprint, Puma Sprint or Pegasus XL (also known as XL-R). These are the slow high lift machines.

All of the aircraft I've listed are very safe machines with a good track record.

A few hints...

- If possible a 503 is better than a 447 (both air cooled), or a 582 is better than a 462 (both water cooled). Water cooled engines are quieter and more efficient, but have a lot more to go wrong.
- Check when the next major engine service is due. Don't buy anything with less than 60 hours to run.
- Get a BMAA inspector to go over the aircraft with you, and particularly ask about the life left in the wing.
- Don't buy anything with a Fuji Robin engine. Nothing actually wrong with them, but spares are virtually inobtainable.
- See if you can get somebody to throw in a radio, intercom and trailer with the deal - it'll save you a lot of money in the long run.

Hope this helps,

G

springers
12th Jan 2003, 10:06
Genghis

Thanks for your reply - it's very helpful and I will follow up your suggestions.

S

Fly Stimulator
12th Jan 2003, 19:46
springers,

If you've been to the BMAA site you may already have found their bulletin board, but if not it's at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microlights/

You may pick up some useful information there. It doesn't always match the genteel standards of 'Private Flying' - it can go a bit 'Jet Blast' on occasions!

springers
13th Jan 2003, 10:57
Fly Stimulator

Thanks for your post - yes I have found the BMAA forum on Yahoo. I've been following the discussions for the past few weeks and have done a few archive searches.

I agree with your comments - some of the posts are quite pithy!

S

Gerry Actrick
13th Jan 2003, 21:27
Good advice to think about buying for solo. That will keep lesson costs down and make booking easier. Nothing wrong with a flash 2. They got a reputation they did not deserve – from people who never flew them. They get better as the wing gets older. Alpha good at a little more cash. The XL is a bit slow – as is flash 1 – but if you want to fly fast you are in the wrong sport. Unfortunately some instructors think more about money than students so advice from independents is worth looking for – If you don’t know much, make friends with an inspector.
Think about support, who can fix it? Can you get spares? (that means Mainair)
Gerry

Alistairleak
23rd May 2006, 20:34
I am 16 and began my flex wing training last year. the airfiled i choose to fly at is CLench commen near marlborough. ANy experienced pilots may have heard of the crash in april which temporarily stalled my training. from my limited experience, i would point you in the direction of a pegasus q or a newer Main air Blade. best to look for 4 stroke and preferable one with a 902 engine.(there faster and more reliable) good luck with your training

Al

Barshifter
23rd May 2006, 20:58
springers
Nothing wrong with an XL as Genghis points out.If you want to just fly local and take even your largest friends up this is the machine to have.I spent many an hour bumbling around my local neibourhood in my 462 rotax engined XL.Will get you and your passenger out of even the shortest grass strip.The Blade is a slightly different beast.You can still find Rotax 462 engined ones around and if your budjet will stretch a little further its a 503/582 rotax one or if your really rich a four stroke one.The wing is the same on all of the Blade range and the speed is nearly the same on all the above models.50-60mph is the normal range of speed using the trimmer.Its a matter of how much money you have to spend.When your up there in your own machine it dosent matter what your in you are still flying! and you still get the same veiw out of your £1500 machine as does the rich bloke in his £23,000 machine.
Regarding the egroup,dont take it too seriously.Sometimes you can pick up some usefull info on there you just have to pick your times.
Have Fun
Regards
Barshifter

bar shaker
23rd May 2006, 21:01
Another vote for the Pegasus Q 462, probably the best entry level flexwing ever built. A 503 Raven is a very close second. Both are available for less than £4k and although the 503 engines drink a bit more, both will have you flying for less than £12ph in fuel. The Q will be nearer half this, at mid 50s and a max straight and level of around 70mph.

Jay's school is highly recommended and another good school near you is at Enstone. Its run by Geoff Weighall, ex Chairman of the BMAA.

With spiralling petrol prices, microlight flying is becoming very popular.