PDA

View Full Version : Questions about A320

mb339
11th Jan 2003, 16:24
Hello to everybody, this is the first time that I write in this forum.
I’d like to ask you to explain me some concepts of the A320 which are difficult to understand to me

What is the Mini Ground Speed?
What is the difference between Alpha Max and Alpha Floor?
What does indicate the amber strip on the ASI? And red strip?
Are there any indicators on the ASI for the retraction or extention of Flap/Slat?
What is the procedure to create an Heading to Intercept on the FMGS?

Thanks in advance!

Seba
11th Jan 2003, 17:54
I'll answer your 2 last questions:
yes,there are of course flap indications on the ASI:normally for TO you'll use flaps 1+F (the F stands for Flaps,so not only slats are selected). after a while,the speed will increase through the F-speed,which is indicated by a "F" on the ASI,this is the minimum retraction speed for the flaps,so when having this speed or more,you can retract the flaps one notch,and you'll have flaps 1 indicated. then,a little while later,you''l reach the S-speed,which is the minimum speed to retract the slats,so you''l retract the flaps another notch,and you'll be clean (no slats or flaps)
on approach,the maximum flap speed for the next flap setting will be showed on the ASI by just a horizontal mark.so if you're speed is below that marking,you can select the next flap setting.if you do so,that mark will change and correspond of course with the next flap setting

for intercepting a leg,you would just select the intercept heading in the FCU (=MCP for Boeing-fans),wait untill the aircraft has reached that heading and then push the heading button,which will arm managed NAV

HOVIS
11th Jan 2003, 18:04
Q1. My old 850 traveller used to do about 82 with four up, a dog and a camping trailer on the back. That was of course downhill with a following wind.

Q2. Alpha Max is the number of bacon butties you can stuff in yer gob whilst entering the flight plan in a 767 IRS.
Alpha Floor is what happens to the butties in extreme turbulance.

Q3. Amber strip is a request made at Manchester's Fantasy bar, Red strip is the same but in Moscow.

Q4. No idea what you are talking about I've been on the strimmer for ten years now and never come across this Flap/Slat thing.

Q5. Ah, now this is the easy bit, let the chap in the right seat do it!!:D

HOVIS,

mb339 appears to be non-native English speaking and is venturing into Tech Forum for the first time .. could I politely request that you be a little more circumspect with the humour in such circumstances, please ? ... it helps no-one if we frighten people off ...

regards,

JT

Jet II
12th Jan 2003, 09:09
Alpha Max

Indicated on PFD - It represents the speed corresponding to the maximum angle of attack that the aircraft can attian in Pitch Normal Law

Alpha Floor

Is the protection that commands TOGA thrust regardless of the positions of the thrust levers. Protection available in auto thrust from lift-off to 100 ft RA on approach.

ASI

Red Strip = Alpha Max speed
Black/amber Strip = Alpha protection speed

Ground Speed Mini

In approach the managed speed target is the Ground Speed Mini target computed by the FMGS. The purpose of the Ground Speed Mini function is to take advantage of the aircraft inertia, when wind conditions vary during the approach. It does this by providing a speed target, when the aircraft flies this target the energy of the aicraft is maintained above a minimum level ensuring standard aerodynamic margins versus stall.

HOVIS
12th Jan 2003, 23:16
JT, I have not been on pprune for a bit but the last time I was on and these type of questions were being asked (especially by non-english speakers) the opinion of the day seamed to be "don't give out info that can be used to good effect by a potential wrongdoer".
Now, I do not know mb339 from Adam. He may be a thoroughly good chap, on the other hand he/she could be a complete bad egg!

What do I know?

Apologies if I have upset anyone, but what is the current thinking? Has the potential terrorist threat from a rogue a/c gone away? :confused:

john_tullamarine
13th Jan 2003, 07:48
Hovis,

I have no problem with a bit of a chuckle .. and your risk comments are noted.

However, the basic aim of the forum is to provide a common ground for discussing matters technical. If you see a concern regarding a particular set of questions, then either choose not to answer or raise appropriate concerns if the answers by others appear to be entering potentially dangerous ground.

I have no idea whether your comments may have caused offence ... but I am concerned that we be reasonably polite each to the other in this forum. It is difficult enough for anyone to try to work in a foreign language ... I would like to think that we try to extend a friendly hand to all who make the effort.

Just a thought ....