PDA

View Full Version : Gliding - How and where do I improve my skills ?

Anthony Carn
10th Jan 2003, 19:32
I'm looking for advice from experienced glider pilots from around the globe.

I've always loved gliding and am aiming to improve my gliding skills, with the ultimate objective of gaining advanced gliding qualifications as a measure of achievement, or not ! (Diamonds, basically).

I am currently employed full time in commercial aviation (medium twin jets) with 12000 hrs. Previous gliding experience is to Bronze C, but some twenty years ago. There will need to be a period of basic training, therefore, before advancing gradually towards my aim. I accept this with a patient attitude, but qualified as follows ----

I can spare continuous weeks at a time, therefore anywhere in the world is OK. The main requirements are rapid, but safe and careful progress at reasonable cost in an environment/climate which is conducive to great gliding. The standard of instruction must be first class. My only language is English. The chosen location must cater for the inexperienced as well as offering the conditions required for Diamonds goals. I would much prefer to choose one location and stick with it throughout this "endeavour".

Questions, as well as answers, are welcome !

Can anyone advise, please ?

Many thanks, in anticipation. :)

WOK
10th Jan 2003, 20:20
There are many places in the UK and overseas which fulfil the basic requirements you have, i.e. offer 7day a week flying with the facilities to instruct to advanced level.

I suggest, however, you slightly re-evaluate your goals (excuse pun).

It is POSSIBLE to give you intensive coaching in a high-performance two-seater to the extent that you could then set off on your own and fly a 500k triangle but this would be a very wasteful use of resources, and would get rather dull for the occupants of both seats.

What is more practical and interesting, will make a better pilot of you is to use high-performance dual flight at appropriate stages while you enhance your own x-country skills in the single-seaters. It's also more FUN that way.

Don't get too hung up on the badges - a diamond height, for example, is largely a matter of being at a good wave-site (such as Aboyne) on the right day once you've achieved a basic level of soaring proficiency. You will probably find that before you achieve your first 500k flight you will be doing lots of x-c flying racing either against your peers or in Regional or local competitions. That isn't to say that 3 diamonds isn't a goal worth striving for.

There are several clubs in the UK able to provide access to this type of training and also which run expeditions to wave-sites in the UK, or to sites overseas in order to extend soaring opportunities. My own site is one such, and has a large fleet of high-performance aircraft including high-performance two-seaters. I'll not mention its name here in case I breach any pprune advertising protocols, but feel free to contact me via pprune if you wish.

TURIN
10th Jan 2003, 20:45
Alternatively, take up hang-gliding! No, don't laugh. It is by far the most demanding,both physically and mentally of all aviation sports. Ask any commercial pilot who has had a go. You will satisfy all your needs without the huge expense and also meet a more down to earth type of chap. Definately no pun intended there!!!;)
500k triangles? Boring? These are not words to be used in aviation. Do a 50k triangle in a hang-glider and you will only bore those who have heard the tale a 100 times or more.
Do not let anyone talk you into paragliding. It is a passtime designed to look pretty in FHM/GQ adverts, nothing more!!!:D

chrisN
10th Jan 2003, 23:02
You may get more direct advice from more countries if you post your question on Recreational Aviation Soaring (ras).

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.aviation.soaring

is one way in - or do a search for "rec.aviation.soaring". You need to register/subscribe to post there, but it's easy enough - I managed it.

Australia may suit you - several well-reported clubs there, and perhaps a more reliable climate during their summer (not been there myself).

America seems to have more of an FBO approach than clubs in most cases, and glider hire there is common, as well as tuition.
---------------
edited to try to check out the url.

Intruder
10th Jan 2003, 23:54
Try the Soaring Society of America at www.ssa.org. They have info on people, places, and planes!

There are several places in the US that sponsor "wave camps" periodically, that take advantage of mountain waves off the Sierras, Rockies, and Cascades. Novices and experts alike are welcome at some of them.

I think one or 2 of these wave camps may be what you're looking for.

P.S., I also have been away from soaring since about 1988...