PDA

View Full Version : GFT passed

HelenD
10th Jan 2003, 15:47
You will be pleased to know that I passed my GFT today. Route was Tummel canich and back to Inverness with a divert to Grantown on Spey. My QXC was Wick and Kirkwall. I have enjoyed my PPL training and now have a licence to learn.
Many thanks to all the instructors at Highland Flying School who have helped get me through and thanks to all ATC that I may have had dealings with.

Evo
10th Jan 2003, 16:05
Woohoo! Well done Helen! :D :D :D

Now, how about the full story? All easy, or...? :)

FlyingForFun
10th Jan 2003, 16:14
Congrats Helen - a superb achievement!!!

:D :D :D

FFF
-----------------

AerBabe
10th Jan 2003, 16:15
I've already congratulated you on another thread, but what the heck, I'll be extravagent!
Many many congratulations girl. Let me know if you're ever flying this way, and I'll take cover. :p
What's next? Gonna do that night rating Mr D bought you for Christmas? :)

Final 3 Greens
10th Jan 2003, 16:18
Helen

Very well done indeed.

At 220 hours I still have a licence to learn and I know pilots with thousands of hours who feel the same way - so there's plenty to keep you interested in the future.

Enjoy :D

kabz
10th Jan 2003, 18:08
Helen, that is just superb !!!!

Congratulations to you, and to hubby, and to your instructor. :D

I'm sure you are looking forward to stomping into the club house at Southampton !!! ;)

PPRuNe Radar
10th Jan 2003, 18:19
Congratulations Helen !!!!

It's a long road but you made it in the end. Well done from the staff at PPRuNe Towers. :D :D :D

Whirlybird
10th Jan 2003, 20:03
CONGRATULATIONS HELEN!

I've already said it on the JB thread too, but what the hell.

I look forward to seeing you fly-in to our next fly-in.

Oh, and I'm dead envious that you've flown into Wick. The time I tried the weather in the Highlands was too bad. :(

jonathang
10th Jan 2003, 20:37
Yeh congrats helen :)

did it on Jet blast as well, I just had trouble keeping my mouth shut :)

:D :D :D :D :D

CONGRATS

Kolibear
10th Jan 2003, 21:22
Well done Helen, thats really good news. Look forward to seeing you at a Pprune Fly-in.

Mrs Kolibear (ex-Mrs WHC) says 'Hi'

AerBabe
10th Jan 2003, 21:28
You make it sound like you've been wife-stealing, Koli! :D :D

LowNSlow
11th Jan 2003, 13:49
Well done Helen, I'll second Kolibear in looking forward to seeing you at a Pprune Fly-In :D :D :D :D

Barney_Gumble
11th Jan 2003, 14:03
Helen,

Excellent news. Come back into Chat we want to hear all about it....

Kindest Regards

Barney

eveepee
11th Jan 2003, 17:13
Another one who'd like to say CONGRATULATONS:) Well done !

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jan 2003, 17:35
Jolly well done, it does feel good doesn't it :-)

G

HelenD
11th Jan 2003, 21:15
It has just about sunk in now. To be honest I diddnt realise I was being tested as I was told earlier that I wasnt good enough for test so I thought I was having a mock test little did I know that was part of a ploy to keep my nerves down. As i thought it was a mock I asked if I needed to do a weight and balence calculation, the reply was yes. After I was all planned the examiner and I set off on the route over the mountains the weather was gorgeous though I initially thought I may not reach my planned altitude I even thought it may not be possible to achieve the highest point on route so I voiced my concerns and got told lets see what happens. In reality for the first leg I was able to get higher than the planned altitude so I said as its possible to go higher than planned I will climb higher to keep the a/c safer. I struggled to identify my first point and thought thank god its a mock. The second leg was going well and I was really pleased that I was where I should be after 14 mins. Then I got told to divert to grantown on spey. I noticed the cloud was getting lower so I said I would have to decend. I correctly identified Grantown on spey. I was then told to track the VOR back to the airfield and part way along I was asked to get a position fix. The general handling of stalling came next followed by steep turns and the PFL. The final bit was back for circuits and the engine failure. After I landed I was told I had passed. Then it was back to the school for debrief. I was told I had taxied a bit fast, used pitot heat unnecessarily, flew my approaches a bit low and forgot to turn the fuel pump off at first. I think that is about it but I was tired afterwards since I had done 1 hour 30 with my instructor before the test which took 2 hours 20

BRL
11th Jan 2003, 21:27
Thats great news Helen. I am made up for you. :)

Well done to MJ too for having faith.

charlie-india-mike
11th Jan 2003, 21:36
Congrats HelenD

Mine is still very fresh in my mind. Just waiting for the paperwork to be processed.

I almost missed my first turning point too but it was a tiny grass strip in the middle of nowhere.

The whole test from brakes off to brakes on was 2:30 so by the time it was over I was 'just a little fatuiged' in other words "knackered".

Then about an hours debrief.

I wonder just how many new PPL's 2002 produced?

C-I-M

Taildragger
12th Jan 2003, 21:54
Helen ......... Let me add to the mob in wishing you many congratulations. Naturally there is a downside to all this, and it usually comes in the mail about a month after you have to use the credit card in the bar on the day.!!!
Looking forward to seeing you at one of the Prune-ins in the summer.....well done.

G SXTY
13th Jan 2003, 09:15
Well done Helen! Great feeling, isn't it? :)

slingsby
13th Jan 2003, 09:31
Well done Helen, justly deserved. You've worked hard these years and especially these past months. The little things at the end of the test, well lets say we all forget things at some point.
The best fix of any flying is the knowledge that you have passed and can now look forward and upwards.

That check-ride is still open to you by the way.

More power to the thrusters:cool:

Circuit Basher
14th Jan 2003, 09:45
HelenD - congratulations, of course!! We'll have to have to try to organise a Scottish fly-in when the weather improves - how's about Oban (as myself and Mrs CB have friends in the area - she can go off visiting & I can talke hairyplanes!!)??

I fly out of Perth normally (although, what with weather, etc and a U/S aircraft, I feel like an ex-pilot right now!).

Well done and enjoy the feeling!

Dufwer
15th Jan 2003, 14:43
Congratulations HelenD :)
-
I have a question concerning the GFT that didn't seem important enough for a new thread. After passing the GFT, how long does it take until you get the license in your hand?

Thanks
D

Grim Reaper 14
15th Jan 2003, 16:13
TWF!!!

(Girls can be "fellas" can't they?)

:D :D :D :D