PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Weather - Which Book?

ACARS
7th Dec 2001, 07:08
Which to learn more about Aviation Meterology for my PPL. Have exhausted Trevor Thoms book on Air Law and Meterology.

There are two I'm interested in.

1. Meterology For Pilots by Wickson (25quid).
2. Jeppesen Aviation Weather (42.50quid).

Would appreciate any comments on either.

Triple_Seven
7th Dec 2001, 14:47
ACARS - highly recommend Jeppesen's Aviation weather. It's very comprehensive and has full colour graphics to explain those sometimes hard to comprehend and understand details! I think it is worth though the xtra cash.

Base leg
7th Dec 2001, 14:53
Met. for Pilots- Wickson. Bought this in addition to OATS course.Everything you need for JAA ATPL Met.An interesting read as well.

Tino
7th Dec 2001, 22:50
Actually, the Jeppesen and Oxford notes are fine, especially the pictures and drawings, but I am afraid that they are a bit lacking in going in-depth.
i must honestly say that the Four Forces book is more in-deep. (this is by the way the only adequate Four Farces book in my opinion).
Best thing though is to have a brilliant teacher for meteo. Anyone who is not a meteorologist should NOT give this subject. Luckily, I am extremely glad with my teacher at Airmed,J.T.,one of Spains lead meteorologists...

prob30
8th Dec 2001, 00:36
Get Wickson. Cant hype the book enough. Passed my ATPL Met cos of the man. Even read it in bed once! Buy it now.
ps. im not on 10% and he isnt my dad.