PDA

View Full Version : JAA CLP/IR or FAA CPL

spitfire747
6th Dec 2001, 15:58
I am a JAA PPL holder with Night and about 90 hours TT.
I am deciding which is the best route to go to CPL.
My Sweedish instructor in the USA told me of his route of doing the FAA J-1 visa where he instructs for 2 years to get around 1,500 hours TT with the FAA CPL/IR/CFI, he then intends to come to europe and do the JAA ATPLs and change the licences, he said it will cost about the same as doing the JAA CPL/IR in Europe, but he will have the 1,500 hours

Or you could do the JAR CPL/IR for X amount here and then try to find employment with the 150 or so hours>

I know the USA way is different and some would be against it, but for the same sort of money I could have 1500 hours of time aswell and a FAA licence, perhapes i just want to live in the sun for 2 years.

Any Ideas, comments or suggestions MUCH appreciated

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: spitfire747 ]

AeroBatfink
7th Dec 2001, 05:28
spitfire747: Apologies for comandeering your post...

Same question as above, but also;

Can anybody pursuade me that there is actually any benefit to obtaining a JAA ATPL when I can do it so much cheaper elsewhere in the world, and I have absolutely no intention of working in Europe? Ideally I would like to fly charters/general bushflying (or something along those lines) in North America (ie the US AND Canada), the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Australasia and/or the South Pacific for the major portion of my career. Where would be the best place to get this experience - S.A., Canada, Florida etc, etc??

Incidentally, spitfire747 - what sort of flying are you aiming for as a career?

englishal
7th Dec 2001, 09:14
I would go the FAA route. From where you stand, you could expect to obtain the FAA CPL / IR for $15000 (maybe less). I would go ahead and get your IR in the States, and get used to flying IFR, get your Private Multi, with instrument privileges (same check ride as you have IR), build hours, then your CPL, ME CPL (simple add on as you have private ME), then the CFI and CFII. Now you can start building hours as an instructor, and when you have 1500 hrs take the ATP check ride. Now convert to JAR, which will probably cost you 20,000 GBP (ATPL writtens, IR course), and you are in a VERY strong position to get a job.

There are several advantages with going the FAA route. The IR is a lot cheaper, and is as good as the JAR one. when you come to do the JAR IR, you will pass with minimum hrs due to your IFR experience. I read somewhere that they may be changing JAR so an ICAO IR holder no longer needs to complete the FULL JAR course as it is at the moment. If thats the case, your conversion costs will be even lower. A US instructor can expect to get $25-30 per hour, and you're right about the J1 visa.....

good luck

spitfire747
7th Dec 2001, 17:27
Thnaks for you help Englishal, i will seriously consider it. My career aims are to be paid to fly, be it C152 or 747-400 as long as i am 100ft+ in the air i will love my work.

OK OK, eventually i would love to pilot a jet, but i want to enjoy getting there, having different jobs on my CV, experience counts alot i reckon, so the appeal of flying 4 sightseeing joe public persons around the Maldives, holds as much appeal as flying a jumbo into Chek Lap Kok (My ultimate goal) so flying anyting is my dream