PDA

View Full Version : Ashamed of aviation clothing?

pholooh
7th Jan 2003, 20:13
After reading a few threads on this site, I have come to a conclusion that pilots, especially in the UK (especially GA), have a general disdain for aviation apparel not matter how practical. In fact, most GA pilots would rather sacrifice safety then look 'goofy' in the flying club, which is quite disturbing (and unprofessional).
I am aware that a few wannabes tend to overdo the whole thing. but i think It is more of a UK thing because on a flight in the US last year there were about 5 pilots on my flight, that excluding the crew. How did i know? Raybans, leather flight jackets(with gold wings) and 'aircrew' tags on their luggage. In the US, flight suits are quite common. Raybans and flying jackets are a common sight in the aviation community. Airline pilots over there dont seem to be ashamed to wear their uniforms. Believe it or not, but someone on this forum admitted to changing out of his uniform at the airport!!!!!!!.
I know that Britons do not like to celebrate their achievments, but I think every pilot(solo to ATPL) is entitled to wear thier WINGS, i think it's one of those dying aviation traditions (Nowadays first solo traditions are considered old fashioned!!!)
From the public's point of view, airline uniforms, flight suits, helmets,etc are appealing. One of the main reasons for the "hatred" of aircrew by non-flying service mean is that they always steal the show with their outfits..... and "inflated egos". But in GA we seem to think of the pilot image as somewhat goofy.
Remember pilots made sunglasses and leather jackets fashionable. As for pilots not wanting to wear epaulettes, i think it's more of a case of low self esteem. if wearing 4 bars is going to boost the self esteem of some 17 year old NPPL(which it probably will), then let him wear them. The main reason for the abuse of epaulettes is the lack of standards( for example, what are the hour or license requirements for wearing 3 bars or for one to used "Capt" before their names?)
You can't walk for 5-10 mins in any british city without seeing some youngster in camouflage, even though they have not "earned" it. And nobody slags them of. If i walked into a club dressed in a nomex flgiht suit complete with patches, i'd be the dream of every girl and the envy of evry guy. (by the way I don't)
I think every post-solo pilot has the right to wear wings, every PIC has the right to wear 4 bars and call himself "captian" and any pilot or aviation enthusiast has the right to dress up in a pilot's uniform or flight suit.
By the way i do not call myself captain nor do I own any aviation apparel(yet) but i'm currently looking for nomex underwear :D :D :D :D
sorry for the long thread, but it has to be said.