PDA

View Full Version : Assistant flying instructor

smyers
5th Jan 2003, 19:18
Hi,
I was wondering can you get paid for teaching the PPL when you have an Assistant flying Instructor rating or do you have to have a CPL first?

BEagle
6th Jan 2003, 05:50
Firstly, you have to have 'commercial level knowledge' before starting a Flight Instructor (Restricted) course - there are no such animals as 'Assistant Flying Instructors' any more. Which means that, practically, you'll need to pass the CPL(A) theory exams. If you intend to upgrade to an ATPL(A) later, then you'll need both to pass the ATPL(A) exams and to keep their validity current by passing your IR(A) within 36 months of passing the exams - and then revalidating your IR(A) before the subsequent 7 years have passed.

You may not receive any remuneration for PPL instruction on SEP aeroplanes unless you have a CPL(A), although you don't need an IR(A). You may subsequently have the 'no applied instrument instruction' restriction removed from your FI rating when you have gained the required instructional experience and have completed the training requirements.

Remember that there are quite a few instructors already finding times pretty hard, so until the aviation profession picks up, there won't be too many vacancies for FI(R)s around in any case.

If you want to become an FI, you would be best advised to complete all CPL requirements first, then start your FI(R) course. But make sure that you can hold a JAR Class 1 medical before you do anything else!

walkingthewalk
6th Jan 2003, 16:33
"Remember that there are quite a few instructors already finding times pretty hard, so until the aviation profession picks up, there won't be too many vacancies for FI(R)s around in any case. "

This is so true and makes it worrying when trying to ensure that you have the minimum instructional flight/exams for the year when renewing ratings.

Tonker Towns
6th Jan 2003, 20:22
If i was you i'd crack on with a good FI course.

Their seems to be a long list of people who are now finishing their CPL/IR who actually think they have all they need to jump into someones $100 million dollar jet with passengers on board!!!!!!!!
Once you have instructed even for one season your whole mental make up is massively better,how to structure and plan a flight,with all the hic ups that come along.
As for no jobs i was unlucky in my first job that the company folded after 4 months. I got off my arse and drove about 1300 miles in 3 days and ended up with three job offers.
Be positive and you'll find yourself in a poorly paid job which is great fun and transforms you and your flying(makes you more marketable too!!!)
Good luck and don't let negative boors put you off,onwards and all that.

ps today i found out i'm going to be a dad

BEagle
7th Jan 2003, 05:56
TT - congratulations on your news!

The FI situation is not that healthy at the moment. In 2001 we found it difficult to find enough part-time FIs; now I have to turn people away. A chum who works at another school tells me that they're constantly receiving CVs and constantly having to say no. Also, worryingly, some FI(R)s they've assessed have been of a pretty indifferent standard - not all schools have high standards, it would seem.

However, smyers, if you are still determined to embark on a CPL and FI(R) course, you will find the names of some good FTOs here on PPRuNe.

smyers
8th Jan 2003, 17:35
Cheers Folks, I'm only 17 (well next week on the 15th January) so I've got plenty of time to let the jobs situation settle down, I am currently doing AS levels at moment (Maths, Physics, Geography, Design Technology and General Studies). I could get a part time job when I leave school to help pay for my flying, but I just can't wait to get started on my PPL. Then next year I can start my CPL!!!

BTW- my lottery ticket has been purchased!!!

Congrats TT:-)

Scott