PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the old CAA licence current

WX Man
2nd Jan 2003, 21:13
OK. 5-6 years ago I parted with £201 and got a CAA licence. I last flew in Sept 2001 and I'm worried my valid-for-life PPL will be rendered defunct and I'll have to get one of these £100-every-5-year jobs. Could anyone tell me, basically, what is the latest I can do a proficiency check in order for me to be able to fly, say, a C152?

I spoke to a chap at Shoreham recently, who said that I'd just have to do a prof check. However I can't afford to do one at the moment, and I doubt that I will be able to do one in the Netherlands/Belgium that is good for the UK CAA.

BEagle
2nd Jan 2003, 21:23
No need to replace your lifetime licence. Just do a SEP Class Rating renewal Proficiency Check - very like the 'old' UK PPL GFT with a couple less stalls/circuits and no IF.

Ask the CAA to confirm whether a LPC/SPA conducted by a Benelux JAR/FCL FE(PPL) would be OK - I'm not sure whether they'd allow him/her to sign your licence Certificate of Revalidation page though; you'll need to ask them that question.

I don't know what other UK/FE(PPL)s charge, but as a guide I charge a £75 Examiner's fee for such a check.

WX Man
3rd Jan 2003, 19:01
Great stuff! I will fire off an email to The Belgrano asking just that. Many thanks.

Even if I don't do the LPC for another 6 months, can I still retain my CAA PPL when I do?

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Jan 2003, 21:24
For future reference:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid33.pdf

FD

BEagle
4th Jan 2003, 07:53
Wx man - Yes, you can. There should be a 'Rating validity page' in your licence (which replaced the old logbook stamp), if not then any UK/FE(PPL) should have one which he/she can sign for you.

Your rating renewal paperwork will go to the CAA, the Examiner will keep a record of the check on a different form. But there shouldn't be anything to pay to the Authority; just the ac hire and Examiner's fees to pay.