PDA

View Full Version : Long Gone UK Airstrips

Martinburney
1st Jan 2003, 12:34
Hi

I am trying to trace the exact locations of 3 Airstrips reported in The Aeroplane Directory 1937.

CANON BRIDGE HEREFORDSHIRE
Possibly used by the aviator Davis 1920's/1930's

DOLBELIDR ST ASAPH CLYWD
Used by Gipsy Moth G-ADFC owned by R K L S Mainwaring

TRYSULL NOW WEST MIDLANDS
Used by J B Hall & L W Hamp

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Martin Burney

Keef
1st Jan 2003, 17:07
Don't have any info on any of the three, sorry.

Did that CDROM I sent you ever arrive? Not heard anything from you since.

sharpshot
2nd Jan 2003, 07:50
I have Pooleys - 1970 at home and will take a look, but I think that's being optimistic:rolleyes:

newswatcher
2nd Jan 2003, 11:11
There is no sign of a strip at Canon Bridge, although Canon Bridge House may have used its fields for some of its more adventurous visitors! There is an old airfield about 3-4 miles south, near Madley. This was not commisioned for the RAF until 1941. Incidentally, it was from this airfield that Rudolf Hess was flown to attend the Nuremburg trials after WW2.

The only Dolbelidr or Dolbelydr, which I can find, is a ruined house, close to the River Elwy, to the West of Trefnant, and south of St Asaph. The house is currently the subject of a renovation project by the Landmark Trust, and is not thought to have been lived in for over 100 years, so not clear why it should be associated with the airstrip you mentioned.

It was once the home of Henry Salesbury, who published what is believed to be the first Welsh language grammar reference in the late 16th century. Unfortunately it does not seem to be visible through "multimap.com".

Trysull - are we talking about Halfpenny Green here, or was there a separate strip at Trysull?

Rote 8
3rd Jan 2003, 14:46
In addition to newswatcher's suggestion that there may be some confusion between Trysull and Halfpenny Green (both very close), you may also want to consider the possibility that you are looking for the RAF airfield at Perton, also close to Trysull, Perton is now a large housing estate, built in the 1980's but was previously an RAF station, constructed originally in 1939.

Martinburney
3rd Jan 2003, 15:34
The strip at Trysull was most likely at EBSTREE near Trysull.

Regards Martin Burney