PDA

View Full Version : BALPA Job Conference

Obi Wan Kirk
13th Oct 2001, 12:05
Hi everyone!

Couldn't make it to the BALPA job conference today. Anybody out there could give a rundown on what was said?

GPS Approach
14th Oct 2001, 12:38
Glad too Obi Wan Kirk.

Excellent day, thanks to BALPA for organising it!

The news from the main men at the Airlines, was pretty much as we all expected though after the recent events. Pretty much all the airlines that were represented there had a freeze on recruitment at the moment which they couldn't really tell us when that would end. Although the majority did seem to be of the opinion that hiring should get back to normal around the end of next year.

There were a couple of airlines still recruiting, Easyjet are looking for around 140 pilots a year for the next couple of years, although I think the minimums have gone up to at least 1500hours. Emirates are also looking for large numbers of pilots but again the hour requirement is high, at least 2500 hours. There were also a couple of smaller regionals looking for a few pilots at the moment, one with a base in Aberdeen (Name escapes me at the moment, perhaps someone else who went could post details) and they are willing to look at low hours pilots, although I think they prefer Integrated students to those of us who have gone the modular route.

To summarise the presentations, things don't look too rosy at the current time, although it wasn't all doom and gloom, most of the airlines had an air of cautious optimism about them. The interesting thing for me was out of the delegates approximately 60 - 70% were low time pilots looking for their first job, myself included, that really put it into perspective what the immediate prospects are for us. The question was asked about the value of instructing hours and the response was very favourable, the airlines realise it is a difficult time for us all at the moment and I think they would rather see someone who has done some instructing in 12 months time rather than nothing aviation related at all.

There was also a lot of hints on CV writing and Interview techniques and which method the airlines favoured receiving applications. We were also given packs outlining who the smaller operators are and who if any were currently looking to hire. Sources of information was also discussed, PPRuNe got a favourable mention.

I'm sorry there's not too many details here, if anyone has any specific questions, E-Mail me and I will try and help.

Finally I would just like to say, I thought it was an invaluable day and would strongly recommend people go to the next one. You will need to be a member of BALPA though (Free if you are still training or £24 if you are an unemployed pilot), go to www.balpa.org (http://www.balpa.org) for details.

Hope this helps,

Good luck everyone :)

tailscrape
14th Oct 2001, 23:05
Hi all,

I have to say that it was a pleasure seeing so many familiar and friendly faces again after a long time. I just wish the airlines could have said something different. But that is life.

As I repeated to many of the (predominantly) low hours who came and chatted with me yesterday, things will improve in time.

If anyone wants any further info on what ever subject we talked about in London, please feel free to email me at:

[email protected]

Specifically if there are any ex OATS guys who want a p*ss up to be arranged, do get in touch.

Wishing all of US the very best of luck.

MW

Obi Wan Kirk
15th Oct 2001, 11:27
Thanks for the info!