PDA

View Full Version : Flying in UK With an FAA PPL

VFE
28th Dec 2002, 14:34
Hi folks,

What's the deal with flying in the UK on an FAA PPL? Can I go to a UK airfield and hire a lill' jammy and go flying or is it the law to convert FAA to JAA before I can go up alone over here?

Answers greatly appreciated.

VFE.

Another_CFI
28th Dec 2002, 15:01
Direct quote from the CAA web site:-

>>>>>>>

In the UK the private privileges of a licence issued by an ICAO Contracting State can be exercised on G-registered aircraft without formality, providing that the licence is valid in accordance with the rules of the issuing State, including the medical certificate. However, the Air Navigation Order 2000 Article 21 (4) (a) states that the privileges do not entitle the holder:

1) To act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2) In the case of a pilot’s licence, to act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.

Holders of a valid instrument rating on their ICAO licence will allow the holder to exercise the same privileges as the UK IMC Rating (ANO Schedule 8 refers).

>>>>>>>

Therefore basically, no problem flying in the UK on your FAA licence.

slim_slag
28th Dec 2002, 15:07
You can fly with an FAA certificate. My personal experience was that this is not well understood by most UK flying schools. You will be put under pressure to convert to a JAA licence, and if you stand your ground, many places will turn your business away.

There are schools that will rent to you, just phone around. Procedures are different and you should take time to familiarise yourself with them and have a sensible number of hours instruction. Then go have fun flying not above 2000ft :D

englishal
28th Dec 2002, 15:31
Holders of a valid instrument rating on their ICAO licence will allow the holder to exercise the same privileges as the UK IMC Rating (ANO Schedule 8 refers).
This is a bit of a red herring unfortunatly. Although stated you can exercise the same privileges as the UK IMC rating, ANO Schedule 8 prohibits flight in controlled airspace on an ICAO IR...work that one out ! And the CAA won't issue an IMC rating without the holder having a JAA licence. If you have a JAA licence and FAA IR then they will issue the IMC rating for £64, wheich now allows flight IAW IFR in anything up to class D airspace (~ equiv to FAA Class C airspace).

As stated though, you can exercise any ME rating privileges on a G reg aircraft without formality.

Cheers
EA:)

VFE
28th Dec 2002, 17:35
Thanks folks.

I'll be calling my local airfields tomorrow then!

Cheers,

VFE.

Another_CFI
29th Dec 2002, 09:26
Slim_slag is correct in his assertion that some/many flying schools are not keen to rent aircraft to holders of ICAO licences. It may be that they are not aware of the CAA's view but it also may be that they are simply being cautious.

At the club where I am CFI (for those reading this in the USA; in the UK CFI stands for Chief Flying Instructor) I will happily rent an aircraft to the holder of an FAA Pilot Certificate, after a club checkout, but am much more wary of renting to the holders of other ICAO licences.

Prejudice? No, it is simply that in addition to my UK licence I also hold an FAA Pilot Certificate and am therefore confident that when a pilot presents me with his FAA Pilot Certificate I can determine if it is current in every respect. Since I do not know the currency rules in other countries how can I protect my flying club against pilots from those countries knowingly/unknowingly flying with a licence that is not current?

In the past I have had to refuse to allow pilots holding UK/JAA licences or FAA Pilot Certificates to fly simply because they have unwittingly let some aspect of their licence/certificate expire.

Irv
29th Dec 2002, 10:56
Another_CFI:

That 'same privileges as the UK IMC rating' bit was been removed from the CAA website piece some time ago. It's true it used to say that until it was pointed out it was wrong. The latest version is:
CAA FAQ on ICAO licences (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/faq.asp?faqid=208)

Another_CFI
29th Dec 2002, 14:52
Irv,

Many thanks. I have updated my file of useful data. Apologies to those I misled.