PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

Recruit15
11th Oct 2001, 02:42
Can someone please inform me on the best way to be come a pilot? Would the best way to go be through the air force, academy, etc. Please help me out. Thanks

CleanAirTurbulence
11th Oct 2001, 15:47
Depends what you feel like doing. Being a pesky limey I can only comment from this side of the pond but the RAF/RN require 12 years minimum service from its aviators to offset the expense of training. As you can imagine this is quite a commitment (see press for details) and you shouldn't really be going into it with the attitude that it is a gateway to civ av. (not suggesting that you were)

As I understand it civ av companies are not taking on new people at the moment and probably won't until a good 6-8months after some sort of stability is established globally. I estimate a good 18 - 24 months wait until business looks like returning to a pre 11/09/01 state.

If you are prepared to wait that long it would be worth doing because it is a lot easier having a large multi-national paying your fees and giving you support / job at end of it. A brief consutation with the major airlines in the US will reveal what plans they have. In my experience (British airways / Aer Lingus / British Mid / etc) airlines are all too happy to advise you.

If you can't steal your nerves that long and are looking to get into it straight away then possibly think about paying for it yourself. Mind numbingly expensive proposition and not without its risks.(ie paying $60000 and then ******ing it up) Pan-am av academy seem to be pretty good value for money - $47000 for instruction. Need to add on accommodation expenses / beer and cig money etc. You can apply for a prospectus thru their web site.

The single most important piece of advice I can give you is: NEVER GIVE UP! I started getting interested in being an aviator 02/99 and I have been round the track many, many times now. I'm currently on final approach, gear down with the Royal Navy so fingers crossed.

Hope this gives you some help - email me if you would like me to expand.

CAT ;)

scroggs
12th Oct 2001, 00:31
R15,
you don't say how old you are, or what your ambition is, other than to fly professionally. Both would be useful in trying to answer your question.
There are many fields of professional aviation - military (with many different disciplines within that category); airline; commuter; airtaxi; flight instruction; crop-dusting; helicopter; and a good few others. In the USA, the military route is one of the best ways to get into aviation, but you need to be sure that you want to do that - as you can see every night right now on your TV, the military is no place for the squeamish! I believe the US forces allow a flying commission of somewhat less than the UK's 12 years, but you are required to have a degree, as in fact you are for most commercial airlines. You can, of course, do your degree within the military.
I suggest you visit a USAF, USN, Marine or Army recruiting office and see if you can visit an active military flying unit in your area. Ask questions and go see if what they do appeals to you. Do the same at the local flying club, or airline. Be diplomatic in your questioning - just now, people are very suspicious of unknowns asking too many questions!
Decide which area of flying appeals to you the most, then maybe we can give you some sensible advice how to get there.

Recruit15
12th Oct 2001, 03:13
If it helps out at all I am only 15 and would considered doing this profession when I get a little older, of course. I have always had the passion to fly and at about this age I should start to think about future occupations. I would like to be a commuter pilot of some sort or to fly some kind of cargo plane. By the way I have also wanted to go into the Armed Forces for quite a few years and would consider going into the USAF, but I'm not sure the way it is right now! Well, anyways thanks for your help!