PDA

View Full Version : Get Your NOTAMS Sorted! Come back NotamPro & NotamPlot!!!

Dusty_B
20th Dec 2002, 17:16
Rah! I've done it!

The AltAIS 'NOTAM Parser' has evolved... and now sorts NOTAMS by latitute :)

Simply grab the latest Area Brief from the AIS web site, copy the text into the NOTAMParser text box, and click 'Process'.

The results are returned in three sections:

1) The Header: The preamble of the briefing, including dates, validity and omissions.

2) The Airfield Briefs: All the airfields will have been ordered by latitude, lowest first. The Lat/Long of each will be inserted by the airfield name so that NotamPro can plot them.

3) The En-Route Briefs: The En-Route Notams are divided into three categories.
a) Those with a single given Lat/Long, ordered by latitude.
b) MULTI: Those with multiple latitudes.
c) NK: Those where a Lat/Long cannot be found.

You can now copy and paste the results for En-Route separately into NotamPro and have them plotted without the clutter of all airfield info.

Please remember to read through all the NK Notams, as they won't be plotted. Until further notice, they will include Danger Areas at and above 52N...

Also, before you get delete-happy, don't just scroll down to the highest latitude you need and ignore everything after, because the MULTI and NK notams come AFTER the plotted ones! :eek: Make sure you stop where they change type.

Previous errors have been corrected, so that "REGULATIONS" aren't changed to "REGUL [LAKENHEATH ...] ATIONS" :rolleyes: :cool:

So where is this master piece of engineering??
www.benchapman.co.uk/preflight/altais/parser.asp (http://www.benchapman.co.uk/preflight/altais/parser.asp), that's where.

When you submit your Notam to be parsed, it may take some time to upload, process and download again. The processing alone takes about 3-4 seconds for the average length brief... you could wait upto 20 seconds for it to come back down the wire.

Please spread the word about this, inparticular to the flying clubs who post the stuff up on the bullitin boards. It might be enough to persuade them to start displaying the Notams each day again :)

Have a merry one...

BRL
20th Dec 2002, 17:43
3 cheers.....!!!! Hip hip..... :)

Courtman
21st Dec 2002, 20:19
Looks good !!! :) :) :)

Now, if only we could get the output from this to work in NotamPlot....

Dusty_B
21st Dec 2002, 22:13
I haven't seen NotamPlot, so I've no idea how it works....

Can anyone help?

:confused:

Courtman
22nd Dec 2002, 00:18
NotamPlot (http://www.notamplot.flyer.co.uk)

This was the best thing to happen for ages.... shame NATS killed it. Maybe the Alt.AIS site is the first step to us all getting it back, certainly I hope so...

Merry Xmas to you all!

rustle
22nd Dec 2002, 10:31
Dusty_B

How come DAs "higher" than 52N are not included? Do you need some more info - let me know.

I have emailed you and Ian (NotamPlot) so you have each other's email addresses...

Dusty_B
22nd Dec 2002, 18:46
The simple reason is that I have to sit down and plug them in by hand, with the map in front of me. :(
I haven't found the time to do that yet (not that it takes that long...):rolleyes:

I've got loads of time off work now, so I can afford to spend some time on it. I'll get UPTO 56N done tomorrow (Monday). Why only to 56N? 'Cause I dont have the Scottish chart!!!

For each danger area, rather than entering in all the coordinates, I've interpreted the map and made up a 'most relevent' central point. In NotamPro, each coordinate is plotted, so a complicated danger area results in a cluttered chart.

===
Ooooh! I've been promoted to a Sticky! Wow :cool:

Dusty_B
28th Dec 2002, 13:15
We're now covered all the way up to 56N. I can't go any further because I don't have the Scottish chart. Sorry chaps!

I've noticed a couple of bugs in the way information has been entered into the system that causes the Parser to miss them. These are for danger areas that have been written 'EDG xxx' instead of 'EG Dxxx', which how they are supposed to be written. So, these ones will appear in the Not Known section of the output.

The system ONLY works for the Area briefings, not for narrow route briefings. This is because it expects to find certain headers and layout specific to the area brief.

Happy New Year folks,