PDA

View Full Version : The Nav book

Pilot16
18th Dec 2002, 20:55
Hi
A while back I was at the book shop and my eye caught the Trevor Thom Nav book, it seemed it has incresed in size like 1/5 more. The one I have got, is a little slimmer.
I have yet to sit the Nav exam so am wondering, if there really has been any major change/addition in the syllabus.

Or was it my lack of sleep that day which got to me & made the book look bigger :eek: ?

Thanks

Evo
18th Dec 2002, 21:05
<bit late>
The Thom Nav book is fairly useless IMHO - makes it all far more complicated than necessary. Nav isn't complicated (a retired Vulcan pilot told me it couldn't be difficult, because if it was Navigators wouldn't be able to do it... ;) ) but the Thom book confused the hell out of me. Learn how to use the whizz-wheel and then sit down with your instructor one wet foggy day and plan a couple of flights. Teaches you all you need for the exam...
</bit late>

Pilot16
18th Dec 2002, 23:33
Hi Evo,
thanks for your reply,
now that you've said it, i too think the TT nav book made nav seem a bit more complicatred than it really is. I done three exams so far, Human performance+Limitations, Met and Air Law. I used the Thom books all the way through, and thought they were great. I hit the nav part and everything I learnt from the book seemed to be disintigrating when half way through. Perheps it is too detailed or because i never had a chance to put what ive learned to practice (i have yet to start on nav flights)

Anyway, I took a break from the nav book for a while and studied for A/C technical and now planning to sit my A/C technical this weekend.
Ive been worried quiet a bit about the nav theory, maybe I was taking everything too seriously. Your idea seems to be good.
Ill worry a little less now i guess. Perheps it is easier understand+digest when I actually start doing some nav flying :cool:

bye

Kefuddle_UK
18th Dec 2002, 23:55
I think the problem is the Thom book teaches you loads of stuff you don't need to know but really should! So far I am struck by the astonoshing similarity between the PPL Confuser and the actual exams, if you just want to pass I reckon the Confuser is all you need!

Pilot16
19th Dec 2002, 01:14
yep, I totally agree with you, the copnfuser is a must for anyone who wishes to embark on a PPL course.

Evo
19th Dec 2002, 05:48
Kefuddle - the problem with the Thom Nav book is that it often teaches you several ways of doing the things you need to be able to do. Better to learn the methods your instructor teaches - no point in learning SCA (or whatever) if he prefers something else. You can always experiment after the PPL

Pilot16 - I also did the Nav exam before Nav flights. That's the right order :)