PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe ATCO

Muppet99
18th Dec 2002, 12:07
Hi

My first post here at PPRunE after reading the forums for quite some now.

Anyway, I'm 18 years old in my final year of A-levels and am looking to apply to NATS A.S.A.P. I have a little concern bout how far academic grades actually 'matter' when you are applying to NATS. Their entry requirements only say that you need to have completed further study like A-levels upto the examination period but, surely the better grades you have under your belt, the more favourably you are looked at?

I am not particularly academic with regard to things that do not interest me, which is most of what I 'learn' during my A-level courses. However I've learnt that when something interests me, I maintain high motivation producing very desirable end results. I have been predicted 2C's and 1D.

How is my situation likely to shape up when I come to apply the NATS and go through the test stages?

Thanks

Point Seven
18th Dec 2002, 16:14
Muppet 99

Don't worry about the A levels (too much!!). They're part of th requirement to show that you have the aptitude to do the bookwork required when you start at the college of ATC.

If you want to do it, apply and you'l have to go and do some selection procedures which ARE important as these are what NATS deems to be the best yardstick for potential students. Just call personnel and get an application form and we'll see you on the radars very soon...

catcslave
18th Dec 2002, 17:25
muppet 99
i was in exactly the same position as you just over a year ago, and i got in!i got 3 d's for my a levels, so you should be ok!
i think they tend to go on th type of a's you did, not the grades you got in them.
good luck
ps:i wouldn't think for too long about applying if i were you, the whole process takes a while:rolleyes:

Muppet99
18th Dec 2002, 19:41
'Point Seven' and 'catcslave' thanks for your replies. Kinda what I was hoping for. Oh well, I'm definitely gonna apply soon, keeping my fingers crossed at all times <g>.

Cheers

radar707
18th Dec 2002, 20:37
Muppet, you don't actually have to even pass the A levels, just complete the course of study to the exams.
The testing process weeds out most of the people who aren't likely to succeed at the college.

MattS
19th Dec 2002, 11:37
Muppet99,

Speak to personnel to see if you can apply now. I've just been accepted onto the course, starting in January 2004!!! The sooner you apply, the less time you'll have to wait. Saying that, there's no rush, you've got a 10 year head start on me!

Matt

Barnaby the Bear
20th Dec 2002, 14:06
January 2004!!!!!!!!
I only had to wait a year because I failed the 2nd interview 1st time, and had to wait to reapply. Still all is well that ends well. Use that year to practice learning text verbatum, it will help alot.
Just recently passed my met course. Another notch on the belt.

Good luck on the course when you two eventualy get on it.

I wonder if they will be back onto shifts then? :p :rolleyes:

Muppet99
20th Dec 2002, 15:53
Thnaks guys for your replies :)

porra
22nd Dec 2002, 02:12
Muppet..

Given any thought to applying at Eurocontrol? Much better salary and working hours and A levels matter even less here...check it out; www.eurocontrol.int

Muppet99
2nd Jan 2003, 00:43
Thanks Porra! Will give it some consideration ;)