PDA

View Full Version : Some advice, please

undertheweather
11th Dec 2002, 21:41
A friend is helping to raise money for a good cause. One of the ways they are using is to auction off items or experiences that people donate.

She has asked whether I could donate a flight in my aeroplane. On principle, I am very happy to do this. I would take the successful bidder up for a local area flight, possibly including some mild aerobatics (if wanted).

I would take no money for this, donating my aeroplane, fuel, time etc etc. The money from the successful bidder would go directly to the good cause.

My question is: can I do this sort of thing within the terms of my ordinary PPL licence? The aeroplane is 100% owned by me, and is on a Private C of A.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Dec 2002, 21:43
If you have a rummage around the CAA's website at www.srg.caa.co.uk there's a leaflet there somewhere covering the rules on charity flights such as this.

G

bookworm
12th Dec 2002, 08:03
You need to look at the AIC on Charity Flights (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4W020.PDF).

bertiethebadger
12th Dec 2002, 10:27
I considered this myself a few months back & having read AIC 50/2000, decided not too.

Far too much liability & red tape. Also you need 200 hrs P1.

Whirlybird
12th Dec 2002, 11:26
I looked into this some months ago, when asked if I would give a helicopter flight as a charity raffle prize. It's complicated, but not impossible, so long as you have the required number of hours, and can give the CAA at least 28 days notice (we didn't have time, so I couldn't do it; I'm promised to attempt to jump through the CAA hoops next year if they give me enough warning).

It seems unfair, but look at it from the CAA's point of view. If you take up friends, they know you are only a PPL, and they're prepared to take the risk. The general public doesn't know that, and expects the same...standards?...dunno the right word...as a commercial flight. So strictly speaking you should have a commercial licence and an AOC. But the CAA makes an exception for charity flights, if you have a fair amount of experience, let them know in good time, and tell them all the details. Still unfair? Possibly, but I can see their point of view.

Tocsin
13th Dec 2002, 18:15
Well, being a good (ex!) civil servant, I had a look at the AIC referenced by bookworm.

The way I read it, the application and 28 days notice is only required if the pilot/aircraft/flight doesn't meet the requirements in the annexes.

If the requirements are met, then a general permission is included in the AIC. Sorted!