PDA

View Full Version : Flight Sim Question

ChiSau
11th Dec 2002, 12:54
I've had a search for previous threads on this but failed to find what I need......

With Xmas approaching the missus has kindly offered to buy me the MS Flight Sim 2002. My question is - do I need to buy add-on software with detailed UK airfields, and if so, which one???

Thank you!

:)

BRL
11th Dec 2002, 13:01
Hi there. I am going to send this to the computer forum for you. I know there has been some questions like this on there. Keep an eye on it there too. :)

timmcat
11th Dec 2002, 13:06
Not necessary... FS2002 has more UK airfields on than you will ever need. If you want more detailed scenery on some particular airports however, try finding some freeware files on the web.

Although I've not seen it in action 'Get-Mapping's UK aerial photo scenery for FS2002 is supposed to be worth getting - see their website for detail (although I dont think this adds anything to specific airfield scenery).

Just a general point, make sure your hardware is well over the minimum required by Bill on the box, if not, you will find yourself having to turn off much of the detail to achieve an acceptable frame rate.

Tim

FlyingForFun
11th Dec 2002, 14:35
Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't bother. I don't believe that any scenery you can buy will make Flight Sim realistic for visual navigation. For instrument flight it's great - but of course you don't care about the scenery then! I'm sure others will disagree, though.

Also, if you use anything from Get Mapping then a word of caution - I believe I wrote some of their software many years ago when I was a spotty graduate! Although they've changed name several times since then and I've lost track, so this may be a different company with different software.....

FFF
---------------

drauk
11th Dec 2002, 16:12
ChiSau, to give the most useful response: what do you want to use the flight sim for? For fun? VFR Nav practice? IMC practice?

Kefuddle_UK
11th Dec 2002, 16:29
Fun,

Actually, you can just about fix your position in FS2002 by just looking at the confluence of rivers, roads and towns and comparing to a chart or a road atlas! To do this you need to install the UK LandClass file from www.fsfreeware.co.uk (or is it .com?). That file places the most apporopriate standard textures at more or less accurate locations. However, in the true spirit of contradiction you actually have to pay about 14 EUR for it.

I reckon it is good enough for whizz-wheel practice and IMC practice if nothing else.

Consider www.x-plane.com as an alternative if the physics model is all important.

Cheers,
Kef.

ratsarrse
11th Dec 2002, 17:25
I recently bought the first volume of the VFR Photographic Scenery from Just Flight/Visual Flight/Getmapping (bit of a joint venture) and it is fantastic. You can, for the first time, fly by visual references alone - it's very good quality.
FS2002 isn't up to the standards of the commercial training simulators (it's only £60 - you get what you pay for), but it's useful for exploring different types (there are literally 100's of free addon aircraft, some of which are better than anything you can buy - take a look at www.avsim.com ), for practising instrument flying - you can set vis to 0 so you have to get used to relying on instruments, and for practising navigation - especially using navaids. I wouldn't recommend using it to improve flying technique - you could teach yourself some bad habits!
To answer your question (get there in the end), the majority of licensed airfields are present and correct, but visually disappointing as they mostly use generic buildings. Understandable, as there are something like 15,000 airports worldwide! I would take some time to play with the thing before you start getting into adding scenery - you might be happy with it as it is...
Have a read of the forums on avsim if you want to find out more...

Jolly Tall
11th Dec 2002, 19:32
Kefuddle,

I cannot find any reference to UK landclass (or land class) on that web-site (it's .com btw), except Prestwick airport/Scotland (and New England, USA). Do you have a link to the UK landclass scenery?

Kefuddle_UK
11th Dec 2002, 20:25
Your right it has dissapeared from that site. Anyhows, I found it here http://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.php?products_id=111 but it describes it as a Developer Pack (DP). Not sure what this is or if it is any different from my purchase??

There is a link there called "LandClass" follow that for more info.

However, I have just looked at some screen shots of that GetMapping/Visual Flight VFR scenery mentioned above. Jeezus blooming eck! Beats the landclass hands down! However, the landclass is for the whole of the UK so maybe still worth considering.

2WingsOnMyWagon
11th Dec 2002, 21:15
Ratsarsse

Im thinking of buying the VFR scenery pack. Does it add full scenery to the airports like realistic taxiways, hangers and towers?

Also can anyone recommend a decent ATC package as the default ones a bit crap isnt it?:(

ratsarrse
11th Dec 2002, 22:53
VFR scenery: no it doesn't add buildings etc. It is just the ground textures.
Take a look at their website - it's pretty comprehensive:

http://www.visualflight.co.uk/photoscenery/intro.htm

If you're after some UK airport addons, I hear that this guy has done some good work:

http://www.uk2000scenery.bizland.com/puplic/index.htm

I haven't tried it, but I'm quite tempted to get the Midlands airports.

There are one or two ATC packages - the only one I can think of is called Radar Contact. Don't know too much about that though...

Happy (virtual) landings!

Kefuddle_UK
11th Dec 2002, 23:09
I can vouch for all the scenery from
http://www.uk2000scenery.bizland.com/puplic/index.htm except for Blackbushe Airport which is a dogs dinner. The rest seems to be the doggy's wotsits.

Radar Contact is meant to be excelent, I have not tried it though. Get it from http://www.jdtllc.com/