PDA

View Full Version : Climatology Revision

DiverDriver
5th Oct 2001, 01:15
I’m having real problems getting to grips with Climatology (despite using BGS notes) and am now considering investing in some additional revision aids, either the PPSC CD ROM or video. Does anyone have any experience of using these and if so how do you rate them? Or should I just persevere and keep going over the subject notes. :rolleyes:

A Very Civil Pilot
5th Oct 2001, 01:33
Although I can't speak for the JAr syllabus, wheb I did the CAA ATPL met a few years back, I got through the climatology by deciding if the place concerned was a holiday destination at that time of year. ie "It's early afternoon in January in Cuba. Will the ITCZ cause it to be a) overcast; b) CAVOK; c) .........etc"

Have a rough idea of where is a good holiday destination for any particular time of year, and you'll have a good chance of knowing the Wx.

Downwind_Left
5th Oct 2001, 02:44
As long as you've got a basic understanding, don't panic.

Once you get down there on the brush up course and Dick gets going it'll all become clear. I didn't completely understand it until someone stood infront or me and explained it. I found it much easier to understand that way than reading the notes.

You'll find the Bristol revision course covers the met syllabus fairly rapidly but comprehensively.

When you come to look at climatology at the end of the fortnight, everything slots into place and you will be able to tell where the wind comes from in Recife in January, and where the ITCZ, or Zone Inter Tropical as the French insist on calling it, is in July.

Promise, it's not as bad as it seems...

But if you're really worried give 'em a call, I'm sure they'll either be able to put your mind at ease or suggest something to help.

Best of luck :)

DiverDriver
5th Oct 2001, 13:11
Cheers for the sound advice guys. I'll go over the notes agaaaain, do the progress test and see if it comes together on the 2 week brush up. :)

Megaton
5th Oct 2001, 16:13
PPSC CD-ROM won't help you. It's overburdened with stuff you don't need to know. I found climatology a bit of a 'mare until I did the 2 week cse at BGS and by the time they've gone through the material and you've done all the papers you'll be be more than happy. Their met revision papers are, incidentally, excellent and don't just give the answer but a whole worked solution and rationale behind the answer which is a huge aid to understanding.

Trick to climatology is understanding the principles really thoroughly and then applying them. Don't try and memorize everything but apply some commonsense and the basic rules that you are taught. Good luck.

kevcookie
5th Oct 2001, 19:43
1. take a map of the world
2. select area you wish to look at by longitude for example 90E TO 110E .
3. where will the itcz be in jan for example
and pinpoint selected places along the itcz.

4. all winds meet at the itcz from above and below. check direction of WIND from above itcz and beneath.
5. does the wind track across water or land. this will be indication of wx. tracking across water,moisture pick up ,cloud, rain.
6. dont forget wind changes direction when it crosses the equator.
7. now where will wind come from.generally in summer: sea to land. winter: land to
sea
if you can grasp these basics hopefully your understanding will begin to build.

i hope this helps. regards

EGDR
5th Oct 2001, 19:57
Some good advice above. Most of all - don't panic & don't waste money on more books. If you buy more books you will only drown in information.

There is only so much you will pick up from the written word. So just re-read your notes before the 2 week brush-up. Dick is excellent at getting the important points across and will cover anything you feel you are having problems with.

[ 05 October 2001: Message edited by: EGDR ]

DiverDriver
6th Oct 2001, 13:29
Once again thanks to all. Some very sound advice. Cheers :) :)