PDA

View Full Version : stalls

bisaya
11th Dec 2002, 09:54
i was doing turning stalls a few minutes ago..... why is it that in a coordinated turn, the outer wing drops? what if i fly uncoordinated, would it still be the same?

I Fly
11th Dec 2002, 20:54
First, you Instructor should have given you a briefing and explained stalling.
In a climbing turn to outer wing has a larger Angle of Attack and hence stalls first. In a descending turn the inner wing has the larger Angle of Attack. Flying un co-ordinated could induce it to go the other way. That's in fact how you induce a spin.

john_tullamarine
11th Dec 2002, 21:24
I wouldn't read too much into what the wing does on an individual aeroplane. There are so many rigging and minor profile variations which influence stalling behaviour (not to mention pilot handling techniques myths and legends) that to generalise often is not very useful.

It is not unusual to see, with multiple examples of the "same" Type and model, anything other than the same stalling behaviour. For instance, I always thought that the Chieftain was a docile staller .. until I did a full flap test stall post mod in a particular example and found myself inverted quite quickly ....

You might do a search in tech forum on the subject ... John Farley has posted more than a few wise words on stalling and spinning .....

bisaya
15th Dec 2002, 03:17
mr i fly,

i actually checked a few books before doin that. was trying to settle something discussed on one hangar talk i got involved in.
if you check your trevor thom manual it says the exact opposite of what you said...:)

john, thank you very much for the directions...

blue skies to you both.

ooops! i stand corrected. misread your reply mr. i fly.

thanks.